Bloomin' Brother Ink saga.

I changed the various ink carts on my Brother printer about a month ago. I bought high capacity Think compatible ones from Choice Stationery Supplies. Since then, no problems, although we use the printer fairly rarely (perhaps 10 - 12 sheets in that time).

Today it wouldn't print blue text and when I ran a test print it clearly showed a problem with cyan ink. So I ran a series of cleaning cycles. Sometimes these seemed better, then worse. At the start of this process, all inks were showing almost full.

Eventually I removed the cyan cart and noticed that although it clearly had ink in it, there wasn't any in the 'output' spout bit. When I pushed a cocktail stick in there, air actually rushed in, so I checked for the little hole that should let air in. I had pulled the tape off OK but it had left a film of clear tape still there, so it was blocked. Success, I thought. Not so. The next test print showed almost perfect but one after that was worse. Not only that but now the magenta and yellow inks were almost done!

When I removed them, sure enough they were nearly empty. So now I have almost no magenta and yellow ink and a cyan cart that appears to be a quarter full but won't print properly. What a mess.

Could I really have used up all of the inks doing 6 or 8 test cycles including test prints? Surely not.

Seems like I now need to order more carts but who from now? Any point in complaining to Choice Stationery Supplies?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• This is the DIY forum, not the technial forum, the replies you get may reflect that.

I can tell you from experience that cleaning cycles use a LOT of ink and will burn through cartridges very quickly.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Such is the joy of inkjet ownership.

I invested in a colour laser for precisely this reason (the majority of my ink was wasted in cleaning cycles rather than used for printing) and have never looked back.

I used to use 365ink, their compatible cartridges were as good as any other.
  • dj1471 wrote: »

I invested in a colour laser for precisely this reason (the majority of my ink was wasted in cleaning cycles rather than used for printing) and have never looked back.

And in other news HP have Instant Ink.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This is the DIY forum, not the technial forum, the replies you get may reflect that.

I can tell you from experience that cleaning cycles use a LOT of ink and will burn through cartridges very quickly.

Oops. Sorry - and thanks. Yes, I'm wondering now if I had a cyan cartridge problem and ran through all my other ink trying to fix it. Arrrrggg.

Mods - Any chance of you moving this thread to the 'Techic Stuff' forum please?
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    And in other news HP have Instant Ink.
    Your point being?

The OP has a Brother printer and inkjets are still a PITA whatever the cost of the ink..
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Send a PM to a board guide, choose from one of these: - Nile, silvercar, Cornucopia
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Le_Kirk wrote: »
    Send a PM to a board guide, choose from one of these: - Nile, silvercar, Cornucopia

Cheers. I've done that.
  • dj1471 wrote: »
    Your point being?

The OP has a Brother printer and inkjets are still a PITA whatever the cost of the ink..

Some people don't need a point to post, they simply like to post to make themselves look big.
    Unfortunately for them, in most cases they simply end up looking like complete tw**s.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Techie Stuff’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    dj1471 wrote: »

Not wishing to hijack the thread but I am in the same position. Which colour laser did you go for? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure