Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Gillsfan
    • By Gillsfan 8th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Unique family situation - could i qualify for any help??
    • #1
    • 8th Sep 17, 12:50 PM
    Unique family situation - could i qualify for any help?? 8th Sep 17 at 12:50 PM
    Okay, so am thinking am not the only one in this situation so hoping for a little further advice.

    I have been divorced for a couple of years, I have my 3 teenage kids 2/3 nights per week but the ex is regarded as the main carer so she gets child benefit
    Me and my kids have moved in together with my new partner, we rent together and she has 2 children of her own. So as such, we have had to rent a large property.

    Things are going well, but financially its a struggle.
    I pay a little above CSA recommended amount to my ex, and my new partner receives maintenance from her ex (similar amount)

    I work, full time and have a good job earning over 40k but my new partner was a full time mum when she separated from her ex and now has a part time job. She gets child benefit but and a small salary for a dinner job at the local school.

    Its a struggle as we have to rent a 4 bed, so we have 2 of mine sharing, 2 of hers and my daughter (the only girl) has a small room.

    We don't have a large amount of savings, houses in our name or assets.

    So question is, what options do we have to increase our monthly incoming?

    We cant get any tax credit benefits because I earn too much.

    Its hard to provide a house for so many of us, and I know mine aren't there all the time but its important they have some space when they stay with me. I could not squeeze them all into less bedrooms.

    Any tips? Any benefits we may qualify for?

    My partner is looking for more work, and is training in the education sector in the hope of getting more hours in a school so able to continue to be a full time mum
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 13,008 Thanks
    • #2
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    Unlikely on that salary. Your situation isnt unique at all to be honest. My friend posed a similar question to me recently, complaining her housing benefit didnt pay for her partners child to stay over on weekends.

    Even if you were to qualify for HB on the salary, it would be based on your entitlement to a 2 bed property. You won't get any allowance for children who are there only 2/3 days a week.

    You have two salaries, maintenance which cancels each other out, and a couple of benefit payments. Why are you struggling? You're probably best to post up something in the debt free wannabe forum (even if you dont have debts, it can be debt avoidance too) showing your incomings and outgoings and they can help you to. You alone are getting around 2.4k a month no? Plus your partners small salary. Unless your rent is crazy that should be do-able.

    (discounting maintenance entirely as I'm assuming some element of shared finances...)

    And assuming you havent already, sell your investment property... or move into it? that will scupper any benefit chances also.
    Last edited by marliepanda; 08-09-2017 at 1:04 PM.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • 11,644 Posts
    • 13,531 Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    • #3
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:17 PM
    Can you sell your rented property or is this too complicated re: ex?

    If not then the facts are quite simple.

    If you are not entitled to any benefits then you have to increase your income or reduce your expenditure.

    I know your present partner wishes to be there for the children but is there any chance that she could get a part time job now? Supermarkets are usually quite flexible.

    This situation isn't going to last that long as your children will be off doing their own thing soon enough. In the meantime do they all have to come at once? If the rent is crippling you financially can you downsize to a 3 bed and jiggle the sleeping arrangements? Sofa bed downstairs for example?

    Otherwise go over to the Debtfree Wannabe forum (not just for those with debts) and post a statement of affairs. They are a brilliant lot at reducing expenditure. Also have a read of all of the articles on this site (use the banner at the top) to reduce utility bills, insurance, telephone bills etc etc.

    Good luck!
    • Gillsfan
    • By Gillsfan 8th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:25 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, sorry if it came across as having an investment rented property.. unfortunately I don't.

    I will put a post together over in the other forum. We don't have much debt at all.. counts for 100 a month and that finishes in a year.

    I get the suggestion on staggering.. its a good one, had not thought about that. I think its hard because I like them to have their own space.. so all down to choice.

    You are correct on income, but rent of 1400 per month is crippling us. We can get by.. just, but we both take any work that comes and can fit in with us. Yep, she is very much considering more hours during day. Was just hoping there may be something am missing.. seems although its a 65/35 split on me having my kids, these costs aren't really taken into account.

    Will defo go for some thrifty tips and cut that expenditure.. cheers guys
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 8th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • 5,192 Posts
    • 3,389 Thanks
    • #5
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    • #5
    • 8th Sep 17, 1:42 PM
    Could your partner not work full time?
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 7,796 Posts
    • 17,019 Thanks
    • #6
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • #6
    • 8th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    Could your partner take on some evening work, maybe two or three evenings a week, when you are there to look after the children?
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 20,198 Posts
    • 33,469 Thanks
    • #7
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • #7
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    Pretty much your only option is to increase salaries. You say yours are teenagers, young teens or older ones? Older ones may not be staying as much in the near future due to getting jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends, going to Uni. How old are your partners children?

    Alternatively downsize to a 3 bed and look for something that has a separate downstairs room that can be converted into a sleeping area for the weekend visits.
    • Seanymph
    • By Seanymph 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • 2,675 Posts
    • 18,043 Thanks
    • #8
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    • #8
    • 9th Sep 17, 8:15 AM
    Unfortunately like a lot of us your partner cant afford the luxury of only working a few hours a day - you don't say the ages of her children, but yours are teenagers, so she doesn't need to be there for them all the time - and your children come to see you not her.

    She needs to increase her income. Now whether that is working for an agency, in the evenings, from home, full time - that is up to her.

    But if you are owning forty grand a year, and the issue is providing for all those children you two have chosen to have between you then it seems reasonable does it not that she should earn slightly more rather than look to benefits?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,281Posts Today

7,077Users online

Martin's Twitter