Smart Meter / Changing Supplier

Hello, new to this!

Have just switched to Npower after BG Collective Fix ends soon. Have Smart Meter fitted with BG which in fairness was great when it worked but sporadically lost connection with IHD and spent days / weeks offline.

Now I know that the Smart Meter will return to "dumb mode" once the switch completes but I was wondering whether anyone has actually completed this switch with a BG (or any other) smart meter already? My question is whether Npower would come and install new smart meters of their own (presumably the new SMETS2 standard) and rip out my old ones? If I asked them to?

I would miss not having it but I'm doubting as to whether they'd swallow the cost of a totally new installation over meters that were perfectly adequate, albeit incompatible with their monitoring systems?

I'll try and see what happens when I apply but I can't do that yet as don't have an account number.

I suspect I'll be waiting ages until the mess of the new standard is sorted out which is annoying :(

Any thoughts?

M

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 9:08AM
    I ve done it a few times ( smart to dumb ) and also returned back to BG in the form of Sainsburys Energy when OFGEM did not block BG from using Sainsburys for cheaper tariffs.
    Smart meter did regain the remote readings, but of course I had thrown the freebie IHD in the bin by then so can t say much about what info it could convey.
    No probs with Eon and EDF when I used them with my dumb Landis and Gry meters but now Eon have had the stupidity to start using the unsuitable Secure Liberty smart meters which may cause huge problems when smart prepayment meters switch to them and will be unable to operate with their prepayment meter systems in smart mode, so may need yet another expensive meter exchange.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Marky_m wrote: »
    Hello, new to this!

Have just switched to Npower after BG Collective Fix ends soon. Have Smart Meter fitted with BG which in fairness was great when it worked but sporadically lost connection with IHD and spent days / weeks offline.

Now I know that the Smart Meter will return to "dumb mode" once the switch completes but I was wondering whether anyone has actually completed this switch with a BG (or any other) smart meter already? My question is whether Npower would come and install new smart meters of their own (presumably the new SMETS2 standard) and rip out my old ones? If I asked them to?

I would miss not having it but I'm doubting as to whether they'd swallow the cost of a totally new installation over meters that were perfectly adequate, albeit incompatible with their monitoring systems?

I'll try and see what happens when I apply but I can't do that yet as don't have an account number.

I suspect I'll be waiting ages until the mess of the new standard is sorted out which is annoying :(

Any thoughts?

M

Hi Marky_m,

Thanks for your message. Please contact us using the details on our profile page if you need any further help with your smart meters.

Thanks,

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • Thanks will do.

Nice to know npower are on here too!

M:)
  • Thanks,

I don't mind if npower rip out the meters and replace them - as long as I don't pay for it!

My concern is that the government regs might say "you've had a meter fitted, you ain't getting another one" and it will remain dumb. After all, as far as the smart meter installation statistics go, my address would show as having one, why go to the hassle and expense of adding another?

M
  • I had smart meters with OVO and then had another set installed, when I moved over to Scottish Power. Since then, I have moved again, now with separate suppliers. Would love to have non-dumb meters again, but cannot, as if EON install an electric smart meter, my gas will not display on IHD.

Roll on SMET2.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    I would be vary wary of these meters.British Gas installed them here on prepayment.I have just found out I don't qualify for the warm home discount with them but did prior with Ebico/SSE.Trying to get a quote from SSE gave me a warning that these meters might lose smart and would lose pay as you go functions and would go to standard type.They would probably need to be removed and previous key/card meters installed.Its unlikely in that situation a customer would want smart meters where the same could happen again.

This is clearly an expensive charade where a change in supplier means another meter change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure