Courier purposely not delivering parcel

Options

Comments

• zocchi123
    Options
    Supersonos wrote: »
    Could you just get a taxi to the nearest Halfords and pick up a battery? I appreciate you shouldn't have to, but this could go on for weeks!

- i cant afford to do this as the nearest taxi place is 15 miles away the taxi alone will cost me 30+ and halfords batteries are very expensive the cheapest they have for my car £115

- my sons school is 20 miles away. he can take the bus however that morning he was running late and just missed the bus if he does that i normally drive him there.. well i suppose i can just make him walk

the car cannot be jumped/bumped because the battery is that broken you can leave it running for an hour+ stop the engine and will not start again and needs to be rejumped. the built in diagnostics have the voltages going all over the place when the battery is attatched.
    I have a jump pack that everytime i attach the battery it says its a bad battery and makes the jump pack go dingy while its connected.
    look bottom line the car needs a new battery, it might brake the cars electronics if i try and force it to go somewhere

how can i be a fussy customer if ive never dealt with the driver before or spoken to him, the issue is problably the fact he is only getting 85p to drive an hour out of his way which will cost him more in fuel so its not worth his time and effort when he can just click failed delivery and drop it back of at the depot when he gets his daily packages, unless he has multiple packages in my area its just not worth it to him
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Re-read post#3.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    I take it it still hasn't arrived?

Order one from elsewhere and get a refund on the one that hasn't turned up.

You need to get it sorted before you become a takeaway addict.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zocchi123 wrote: »
    - i cant afford to do this as the nearest taxi place is 15 miles away the taxi alone will cost me 30+ and halfords batteries are very expensive the cheapest they have for my car £115

- my sons school is 20 miles away. he can take the bus however that morning he was running late and just missed the bus if he does that i normally drive him there.. well i suppose i can just make him walk

the car cannot be jumped/bumped because the battery is that broken you can leave it running for an hour+ stop the engine and will not start again and needs to be rejumped. the built in diagnostics have the voltages going all over the place when the battery is attatched.
    I have a jump pack that everytime i attach the battery it says its a bad battery and makes the jump pack go dingy while its connected.
    look bottom line the car needs a new battery, it might brake the cars electronics if i try and force it to go somewhere

how can i be a fussy customer if ive never dealt with the driver before or spoken to him, the issue is problably the fact he is only getting 85p to drive an hour out of his way which will cost him more in fuel so its not worth his time and effort when he can just click failed delivery and drop it back of at the depot when he gets his daily packages, unless he has multiple packages in my area its just not worth it to him

Don't understand why the battery means you can't jump start the car. The majority of power a car requires is when initially trying to start it. It then (if its working properly anyway) recharges as you drive (which is why lots of short journeys can drain your battery). Over time, a battery will lose capacity which means eventually, the battery wont hold enough power to enable it to start the car.

Theres 2 ways you can jump start a car (that I know of anyway). One is your typical connecting it to another power source (battery pack or another car). The other takes a few bodies usually - someone to sit in drivers with car in gear & clutch depressed, another 2 to push it with sufficient speed so that when the driver lets up the clutch it forces the engine to turn.

What do you mean the voltage is going all over the place? Unless the battery is bulging/swelling or showing signs of damage, it should be perfectly fine - just not powerful enough to start the car. If there no signs of damage, the terminals are clean etc then theres no reason you can't jump start the car. You could then change the battery where you buy the replacement (only takes 5 mins).

But even £30 on a taxi would be a lot cheaper than living on takeaways - especially if you're having to pay 5 delivery charges each time. Its also cheaper than potentially losing any work/being liable to your clients if they suffer any losses due to your breach of their contract. Do no supermarkets do home delivery where you are? I live in the middle of nowhere and a few still deliver here. You have an obligation to take reasonable steps to mitigate your losses where possible and not take unreasonable steps to increase them. Would a neighbour/friend/family member not perhaps either pick one up and deliver it or take you to get one?

Its always wise to have extra food in general, but its even truer when living away from the convenience of local shops. We've been cut off several times for various reasons and didn't have to worry due to it.

Did you contract with the courier or did the trader? If it was the trader, you need to contact them as its they who have contractual obligations to you.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Your son missed the bus, knowing you hadn't got a working car. It's not the courier's fault your son missed school.

Rather than relying on takeaways why not do an online food shop? If a takeaway will deliver it's reasonable to assume at least one of the supermarkets will.

You had to walk a mile to the chip shop. Would you like a medal for this? Many people walk much further every single day.

If you're looking for compo then stick to the relevant facts. Cut out all the puffery about your school and takeaways and the chip shop.

In no way excusing Yodel not reaching you but this often happens (with all couriers) for deliveries at the end of the route. 95 drop offs is a typical day for many couriers, and if they get caught in traffic or any other delays then the end ones will be marked off (by the depot, not the courier) as missed/ failed deliveries. If the parcel ever turns up don't be an !!!! to the driver, it's most unlikely he is purposely missing your delivery.
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    a dangerous main road
    are all roads not dangerous?
    to get to a drive to fish and chips just to give the kids lunch
    no food indoors?

so we have spent a few days living on scraps the kids have lost a few days education and you have walked 2 miles and to top it all off you have lost 100's

and now you want to claim................
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have had similar problems with yodel and other cheap couriers as we also live in a remote location, as I understand it they get a fixed price pere parcel something like 45p and if you are a long way from their precious deliveries then itsq not worth them driving all the way to you so they mark it as attempted delivery so the system doesn't know they couldn't be bothered.

Ultimately your contract is with whoever you bought the battery from you need to get on to them to chase it up with yodel as they are yodels customer
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    zocchi123 wrote: »

I'm no mechanic, but I don't think it's the battery that's the problem.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesco.com
    Sainsburys.co.uk
    waitrose.com
    Morrisons.com

All deliver groceries, no need to walk miles, cross dangerous roads or spend a fortune on expensive take-aways.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The chip shop is a 1 mile walk but delivery costs a lot because its 10 miles away?

You need the car for work and to earn money but wint jump start it to go and buy a battery?

Just kittens and nuns missing.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure