Npower claiming I owe money on previously settled account

Options
Hi,

If Npower send us a final bill on the account, and settle the outstanding amount owed to us, can they change their mind 4 months later and demand hundreds of pounds from the closed account?

Background: I closed a duel fuel account with Npower on 5 April this year. We received our final bill and were in credit, and after much chasing Npower finally reimbursed us the final credit amount.

Today we received a call saying we owe them £400. They have the correct / same final meter readings, however now claim that we owe them money, yet can't seem to explain why, except to say that they made the change last week.

I have been passed from the finance debt, who rang to chase the money (and were the first to tell me about this new bill) to the billing dept who couldn't explain why we were suddenly being charged £400 when the final bill showed us in credit and was settled by Npower in June. They then then offered to pass us onto the house moving team, who were no longer open for the day.

I'm told that a letter was sent to us a week ago, but we haven't received it.

We have had so many problem with Npower in the past, the worst being when they chased us for months on end claiming we owed them £1200, when in the end they admitted they owed us almost £700, other occasions include double charging us, taking down the wrong meter readings, and refusing to refund us money they owed us for weeks, without explanation as to the delay. I really thought we were finished with Npower and all the problems we've had with them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
littletan

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 September 2017 at 10:44PM
    Options
    Have you got copies of the bills and readings so you can track back to make sure that you didn't have a couple of erroneous bills or estimates.

Have they sent you a revised bill which explains it all. If not then ask for one and a fully detailed statement

keeping old bills and meter readings may seem like a waste of space or effort but it can pay dividends in cases like this.

Hopefully thats what you are doing with your new supplier. If you always get a bill or statement corrected with an actual reading and refuse any estimated bills it makes it easy to back-track. If you dont it's nigh on impossible
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • littletan
    Options
    I'm told they have sent a new bill, but we haven't received it yet. We keep all bills and usually make notes on them if we call Npower.
    I noticed they have wiped all details from our online account, all meter readings we gave them and all previous bills, and just now show the amount owing with no explanation.
    I'll request the full statement today, thanks for the advice!
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most energy companies wipe or get rid of online accounts so you can't see them again, that's why it's a good ideal to keep your own records and never accept an estimated bill - give them a reading and get it corrected immediately.

It worth downloading PDFs of the bills or statements and saving them on your computer if you don't want to keep paper ones.

Sending in readings once a month and keeping a spreadsheet of your own helps enormously.

I hope you get it sorted out
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    littletan wrote: »
    Hi,

If Npower send us a final bill on the account, and settle the outstanding amount owed to us, can they change their mind 4 months later and demand hundreds of pounds from the closed account?

Background: I closed a duel fuel account with Npower on 5 April this year. We received our final bill and were in credit, and after much chasing Npower finally reimbursed us the final credit amount.

Today we received a call saying we owe them £400. They have the correct / same final meter readings, however now claim that we owe them money, yet can't seem to explain why, except to say that they made the change last week.

I have been passed from the finance debt, who rang to chase the money (and were the first to tell me about this new bill) to the billing dept who couldn't explain why we were suddenly being charged £400 when the final bill showed us in credit and was settled by Npower in June. They then then offered to pass us onto the house moving team, who were no longer open for the day.

I'm told that a letter was sent to us a week ago, but we haven't received it.

We have had so many problem with Npower in the past, the worst being when they chased us for months on end claiming we owed them £1200, when in the end they admitted they owed us almost £700, other occasions include double charging us, taking down the wrong meter readings, and refusing to refund us money they owed us for weeks, without explanation as to the delay. I really thought we were finished with Npower and all the problems we've had with them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
    littletan

Hi littletan,

Thanks for your message. We'll be able to help with your billing query if you contact us using the details on our profile page.

Thanks,

Jen :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure