Homebuyers survey results

Options
Just got my homebuyers survey back. There are 3 or 4 points that I was not aware of and I am going to send them to the estate agent to ask the vendor:
1)The 2 extractor fans in the bathrooms are only vented into the loft space. What type of contractor do I need to resolve this? A plumber or builder?
2) The ensuite toilet bowl is loose and needs refitting
3) water pressure is indequate
4) The immersion heater has been disconnected for some reason
5) The original soil and vent pipe have been disconnected in the roof void. The remaining section is supported in an "ad hoc manner" . We need to know if there is a non return valve fitted on top of the original soil and vent pipe thats in the bathroom but its boxed in. Not sure how I will be able to check this? If I get a plumber in to check he would need to remove all the boxing and damage the bathroom decoration :-(

Are these all issues I will be expected to remedy myself? My main concern is the soil/vent pipe.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I would ask the vendor to sort all those points, then you don't need any sort of contractor.
  • purpleparrotuk
    Options
    He is fixing the extractor fan vents and toilet. I'm worried if the vents will be done properly though.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    He is fixing the extractor fan vents and toilet. I'm worried if the vents will be done properly though.
    Ask if you can inspect the work then.

What about items 3, 4 and 5 on your list?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The vendor is not obliged to do any of this work: when you buy a house, it is sold as seen. If you want the property, revise your offer accordingly to take into account the likely cost of remedying the defects. Then you know the work will be done properly. As you say, only the soil pipe is of major concern. Yes, the plumber will probably need to remove the boxing in to get access.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • purpleparrotuk
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    The vendor is not obliged to do any of this work: when you buy a house, it is sold as seen. If you want the property, revise your offer accordingly to take into account the likely cost of remedying the defects. Then you know the work will be done properly. As you say, only the soil pipe is of major concern. Yes, the plumber will probably need to remove the boxing in to get access.
    The owner has confirmed there is a non return valve there so all is well.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,571 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You would soon smell it if there wasn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure