PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Survey results in, advice needed

Options
purpleparrotuk
purpleparrotuk Posts: 365 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 7 September 2017 at 12:42PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi

Just got my homebuyers survey back. There are 3 or 4 points that I was not aware of and I am going to send them to the estate agent to ask the vendor:
1)The 2 extractor fans in the bathrooms are only vented into the loft space. What type of contractor do I need to resolve this? A plumber or builder?
2) The ensuite toilet bowl is loose and needs refitting
3) The immersion heater has been disconnected for some reason
4) Water pressure is inadequate
5) The original soil and vent pipe have been disconnected in the roof void. The remaining section is supported in an "ad hoc manner" . We need to know if there is a non return valve fitted on top of the original soil and vent pipe thats in the bathroom but its boxed in. Not sure how I will be able to check this? If I get a plumber in to check he would need to remove all the boxing and damage the bathroom decoration :-(

Are these all issues I will be expected to remedy myself? My main concern is the soil/vent pipe.

Comments

• Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They sound like total none issues to me. The loo will be a bit annoying as it'll clunk/ rock when you sit, but will be easy and cheap to fix.
  • purpleparrotuk
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    They sound like total none issues to me. The loo will be a bit annoying as it'll clunk/ rock when you sit, but will be easy and cheap to fix.
    Thanks, I think the vents into the loft can be serious. Can cause the wood to rot etc.
    Also the low pressure could mean I have to replace all the pipework in the house.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They don't sound like non issues to me, even though they are easy to fix. They smack of a bodger and fiddler, someone who has altered things that worked, or never finished a DIY job properly.

These are the ones the surveyor found. What delights are there in the wiring under the floorboards, and how are the kitchen wall units fixed? Where does the drain soak to, and what was the adhesive used on the bathroom tiles?

Yes, you fix them yourself. The owner will botch the jobs again, or pay peanuts for somebody to do it equally badly.

Worth a revisit for a close inspection and see what else you can spot. May be nothing, may reveal more diy wonders.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    .......I am going to send them to the estate agent to ask the vendor:
    I am very uncear what it is you are going to ask the vendor.

* will you fix these issues please?
    * What type of contractor do I need to resolve this?
    * something else?

In any event, you are wasting your time. There is only one thing you might ask the vendor: "Will you agree to reduce your selling price by £X?", but this seems very inappropriate.

The issues are minor, and are cheap and easy to fix. Buy the house (if you like it) then fix/improve it how you want
  • purpleparrotuk
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    I am very uncear what it is you are going to ask the vendor.

* will you fix these issues please?
    * What type of contractor do I need to resolve this?
    * something else?

In any event, you are wasting your time. There is only one thing you might ask the vendor: "Will you agree to reduce your selling price by £X?", but this seems very inappropriate.

The issues are minor, and are cheap and easy to fix. Buy the house (if you like it) then fix/improve it how you want

Hi. I think the vendor did most of this work himself. So he will be able to tell me if there's a one way valve, why the immersion has been disconnected etc I'm not looking for money off just advice.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. I think the vendor did most of this work himself. So he will be able to tell me if there's a one way valve, why the immersion has been disconnected etc I'm not looking for money off just advice.
    Hmmmm..

Chances are he'll be reluctant. He might well be concerned that anything he says might be used against him:

* not to Building Regulations standards?
    * contradiction to what he wrote in answers to Enquiries?
    * or just ammunition you might then use to negotiate the price

His solicitor, if he has one and asks advice, will certainly tell him to re-direct you and your questions via your solicitor, and not to give direct answers.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm not looking for money off just advice.

On what? How to bodge DIY?

I too think the seller would be reluctant to move on price. Check the TA6 form to see if they've done any dodgy electrics. If it was me, I might be inclined to get the electrics tested (at my own expense) at this point.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • purpleparrotuk
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    On what? How to bodge DIY?

I too think the seller would be reluctant to move on price. Check the TA6 form to see if they've done any dodgy electrics. If it was me, I might be inclined to get the electrics tested (at my own expense) at this point.

Electrics already in hand. Going have them checked the next week or so.

Thanks for the replies. If he doesn't want to answer then fair enough. Just thought I would try.
  • AndyTails
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    They don't sound like non issues to me, even though they are easy to fix. They smack of a bodger and fiddler, someone who has altered things that worked, or never finished a DIY job properly.

These are the ones the surveyor found. What delights are there in the wiring under the floorboards, and how are the kitchen wall units fixed? Where does the drain soak to, and what was the adhesive used on the bathroom tiles?

Yes, you fix them yourself. The owner will botch the jobs again, or pay peanuts for somebody to do it equally badly.

Worth a revisit for a close inspection and see what else you can spot. May be nothing, may reveal more diy wonders.

Now you've got me scared as to what a surveyor will think of my DIY when I come to sell!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure