Why is interest charged from purchase day when I have a promotional balance

I have a Barclaycard and I have taken a deal to transfer some cash to my bank account at 0%. This is all good and fine but when I read the T&Cs I found a clause that said that once I had a balance on a promotional rate any additional purchases that I make will have interest charged from the purchase date even if I paid those additional purchases in full when the statement was due. This is confirmed by this help page:

help.barclaycard.co.uk/brochure/spending_transactions/promotional-standard-rate

I did a test with a small purchase and I was indeed charged a small interest on the purchase even though I paid it in full when the statement was due.

Can someone please explain to me why this stupid rule exists? It clearly dis-encourages me to use the card since once I have a balance with a promotional rate I can't avoid to pay interest in new purchases if I use the card for anything else. Is this a "small print" scam or is it that Barclaycard can't have their systems distinguish from the promotional rate balance and the standard rate balance?

Thanks!

Comments

• It's not a scam. It's common on all credit cards with the exception of Nationwide, I believe.

Keep a separate card for purchases.
  • OK but I don't get it why this rule exists. Sure the bank is more than happy for me to spend on the credit card up to my credit limit as they get a % of my purchases?
  • They would rather have the interest. Many customers continue to mix the two transaction types on the same card.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You only qualify for an interest free period if you clear your balance in full. With a promotion sitting there you don't do that.

General advice for most people is don't mix transfers and purchases. They're giving you a substantial benefit with a 0% period. You cannot be surprised that they would like something in return?

The trick is to know the rules and not let them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure