Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • happytravells
    • By happytravells 6th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 49Thanks
    Divorce advice after 9 years please.
    • #1
    • 6th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    Divorce advice after 9 years please. 6th Sep 17 at 6:38 PM
    I was wondering if anyone has an advice my situation is as follow:
    Myself and my husband split approx 9 years ago. No legal advice was sort tbh I couldn't afford it. We had 3 children who are now 21 just finished uni and about to start a job and twins who are about to start uni. On splitting we sold the house and split the equity 50/50 the children also spent time with myself and ex equally, for that reason he never gave me any financial support at all, if I asked he would and he made me feel very small and like a money grabber. I managed by building up large credit card debts, the last one was paid off by the sale of my garage. When we split he was banking cheques for 750 he is self employed though earns the same every week, I am presuming his wages have increased in the past 9 years !!!128528; I earn 963 PCM
    Now the last two are off to uni I have decided to sell our home and buy cheaper as I will no longer be able to run it (3 bed semi) and pay off the last of my cc debt.
    Just as expected I have received divorce proceedings just as the youngest are up and off, is there anything I can do retrospectively? Again money will be tight and I'm not sure if to just sign and draw a line under it or to get advice, just as I should have done all those years ago !!!128513; Some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 6th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • 6,640 Posts
    • 8,629 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Sep 17, 7:26 PM
    It's still possible to apply for a financial settlement, particularly as you are only now starting divorce proceedings.

    A court has to consider what is fair and reasonable - they are entitled to take into account the length of time you've been separated, but also to look at the whole picture. For instance, you mention that you split the house 50/50, but what happened with other assets? Did either of you have a pension? A court can also look at your respective needs and incomes.

    If your husband was earning more than you at the time you separated, a court would probably not have split things 50/50 then, and it's likely that you may also have been entitled to some child support.

    I'd suggest that you go to see a solicitor to get advice about your specific situation. Look at to find an expert in your area.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

5,157Users online

Martin's Twitter