Car insurance renewal

I have been driving 18 years and never made a claim so when these online comparisons say years no claim bonus can I put 18 years?. The reason for asking is someone said it's up to the insurer you are with but surely if I haven't claimed I should put 18 years.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 6:26PM
    You don't get NCD for a claim free driving career

Insurers only usually want your claims history over the last 5 years

Put what you can prove as far as your NCD is concerned
  • So if I have been driving 18 years with no claims I would just put 18 years surely?. Otherwise how could they prove otherwise if they checked over last 18 years then they would see I haven't made a claim. I am doing a comparison and it says how many years Ncb or no claims .
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Whatever you state your no claims amount is you will be asked to prove by sending a statement or letter confirming it from your previous insurer.

When you fail to provide the proof, they will bump your premium to the value it should have been for zero NCD.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    dexterwolf wrote: »
    Otherwise how could they prove otherwise if they checked over last 18 years then they would see I haven't made a claim. I am doing a comparison and it says how many years Ncb or no claims .
    They will ask you to prove how many years NCB you have proof of.

How many years does your renewal notice show?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you keep copies of your renewal history, you will have a good audit trail to prove the 18 years. If you dont have the proof, you may be limited to just what your current insurer is willing to confirm as your NCD.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    it doesn't really matter no insurer will recognise 18 yeas as NCD, there is a max,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure