New employer not offering pension - help!

Hi all

I left my previous employer in early Jan - with whom I had a company pension with a well known provider, BlackRock.

Going from what was a large, established regional employer to a small startup business, I was always expecting teething problems. However, since starting my colleagues and I have been asking our boss to update us on company pension, to which we have had sporadic replies of 'he is handling it' and to 'leave it with him'. We are now 9 months on and no further.

I appreciate he doesn't HAVE to offer a pension yet - I've checked in with Citizen's Advice.

My problem comes that BlackRock are only going to hold on to my previous pension fund for another week from today before it returns to my previous employer.

I therefore need to set up a personal pension, I presume, with haste so as to have somewhere to hold his money and transfer it to.

Has anyone been in a similar position? Having never set up a personal pension I'm at a loss of what to do, particularly with such a short timeframe and somewhat resent having to pay out for a financial advisor.

Any advice on best steps for a 'quick fix' would be gratefully appreciated, as well as any other thoughts on the above.

Thanks

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would suggest you post this in the Pensions section of the forum where several IFAs regularly comment with helpful knowledgeable advice.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Get on it.

Undervalued is right, post on the pension forum.

The main thing is that you open something. It doesn't matter too much at this point as you can make more permanent arrangements later.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure