We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Trellis advice please

Options
Gers
Gers Posts: 12,031 Forumite
First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
My lovely clematis is sprawling itself all over the back garden wall and I'm running out of old ivy stems for it to attach to.

My internet searching for a suitable trellis has me boggle-eyed so I'm hoping for some advice here.

Given that the weather here is mostly wet, the flimsy ones which are pinned together seem to me to not be robust enough. The robust ones are mostly fairly small and expensive. The wall is an old stone one held together with some form of mortar, some of which is hard and some of which is crumbly.

I'd be grateful for some trellis suggestions please.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd make them myself out of roofing battens, which any builders' merchant will deliver. Then I could do my own design, setting the spacing how I wanted it. Once this is decided and a couple of spacer pieces have been made, it's a doddle. Careful maths will mean less wastage, of course.

Battens can be nailed at crossing points using galvanised plasterboard nails, but always drill first to avoid splits....or you can be posh and use stainless steel screws.

Failing that, I always recommend Jacksons fencing for stuff like this, but they won't be cheap!

https://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's also galvanised steel wire, which I tend to use on walls.
  • Gers
    Options
    Grenage wrote: »
    There's also galvanised steel wire, which I tend to use on walls.

I've plumped for this way, the wire will be almost invisible against the wall. I know it'll be fiddly to put up but I like it best.

Many thanks.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    I've plumped for this way, the wire will be almost invisible against the wall. I know it'll be fiddly to put up but I like it best.

Many thanks.

That's also the approach I have used on an old wall for a couple of espalliered apple trees. I've used 3 or 4 inch decking screws which self-tap into the mortar between the stones and wire wound between the screws. Much easier and cheaper than building trellis. Might be different if the old wall has been re-pointed in cement but I had re-pointed mine in lime mortar before adding the apple trees.
  • Gers
    Options
    I've ordered wall staples as the mortar varies between being rock hard and crumbling. It's a very old stone wall and I've no idea about the pointing material. I've got good old fashioned nails too in case the staples don't go it.

It doesn't need to be pretty as the clematis will, hopefully, cover it. The plant was so happy agsinst the old ivy stems, happy enough to outgrow it all. And then the builders had to pull some down when they installed the new guttering recently!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's trellis and there's climbing supports of different kinds.

In this case I agree that a wire latticework will be superior and quicker to put up.
  • Gers
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    There's trellis and there's climbing supports of different kinds.

In this case I agree that a wire latticework will be superior and quicker to put up.

Thanks - as a non-gardener, still, I often don't know the correct name for stuff. As I looked at trellis' I realised that it was the wrong thing, but didn't know what the right one was until Grenage mentioned it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure