Cars Stolen

Options

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Interestingly not all leases are like this. Some contracts make you pay back the full value of the car and all of the remaining payments under the lease. There are special gap insurance policies to cover this but always read the TS and C's carefully as there is a potential to end up seriously out of pocket.

Given what he posted yesterday he either doesn't read too well or doesn't pay much attention to details.
    kmb500 wrote: »
    Have you heard of a bedroom?

Edit: Sorry, forgot this is a Corsa. If I was having sex with kids I'd probably do it in my car too, wouldn't want my parents finding out and all that.

Just saying. :whistle:
  • matt1987
    matt1987 Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spoken to someone more helpful at my insurance today. He said that the way they work the new car replacement is that they contact the finance company (in this case Audi and Mini finance) and basically ask them for authorisation to transfer what ever the balance is owed onto a brand new vehicle. If they agree to this, then I just keep paying what I am paying now and it was carry on as if nothing had happened - the difference being they will both be new cars with different registrations.

Its made me consider as to whether I actually want to own an Audi again :-(
  • matt1987
    matt1987 Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So just an update on my progress. The insurers have agreed to replace both cars like for like and its been passed onto some vehicle sourcing agency.

Im still however not sure how this is going to work with the finance companies!

The kick in the teeth is that we have been told the hire cars are only for 14 days - which means from Monday I have no idea how I am going to get to work as I work hours where there is no public transport!
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    You'll either have to hire one or use taxis.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    daveyjp wrote: »
    I suspect this could quickly become a drawn out process.

Oxymoron - it cannot be quick and drawn out!!
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Why didn't you have a burglar alarm and use it if you have nice stuff? Can never understand people who don't.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why didn't you have a burglar alarm and use it if you have nice stuff? Can never understand people who don't.

His cars were not stolen, the finance companies cars were stolen.

Maybe the finance company should pay for an alarm ? Would that have stopped a Key theft ?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    House alarms are either linked to the police station and cost quite a lot to pay for monitoring, or they make a lot of noise and the neighbours just say "I wish they'd turn that alarm off, it's annoying" If we know that so will burglars. Also, if you have pets, the alarm companies always recommend you keep the zone that they stay in at night is unalarmed to avoid false calls which can result in the police no longer taking calls from your property.

If you then keep the keys upstairs, the police advise against this as this puts people at risk over property.

Bit of a pig in a poke really.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    House alarms are either linked to the police station and cost quite a lot to pay for monitoring, or they make a lot of noise and the neighbours just say "I wish they'd turn that alarm off, it's annoying" If we know that so will burglars. Also, if you have pets, the alarm companies always recommend you keep the zone that they stay in at night is unalarmed to avoid false calls which can result in the police no longer taking calls from your property.

If you then keep the keys upstairs, the police advise against this as this puts people at risk over property.

Bit of a pig in a poke really.

But the OP was in the house at the time which the thieves probably knew so they wouldn't have hung around if the alarm had gone off.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 August 2017 at 5:08PM
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    But the OP was in the house at the time which the thieves probably knew so they wouldn't have hung around if the alarm had gone off.

Doesn't take long to grab keys alarm or no alarm. We have a monitored alarm and security gates, plus lots of CCTV. So we are reasonably secure. The fobs for the gates and the keys are kept out of sight, but they would have to climb a 10ft wall to gain entry to the grounds. The alarm is the last line of defence.

In the situation the OP was in, he would have had the choice of confronting or not. There is no guarantee the burglars would have run away at the start of the audible alarm. If they can get 30 - 50k worth of cars, they might risk it. These weren't opportunists. I don't think an alarm would have made much of a difference. They already know they are risking a confrontation. The use of an alarm is no indication that the confrontation will be successful for the householder.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure