Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tati
    • By tati 21st Aug 17, 1:01 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 8Thanks
    tati
    Received PCN - I'm not the driver nor the keeper of the vehicle
    • 21st Aug 17, 1:01 PM
    Received PCN - I'm not the driver nor the keeper of the vehicle 21st Aug 17 at 1:01 PM
    Hello!

I am posting as my case is regarding a hired vehicle which was not hired by me but by my ex-partner who was the second named driver on the insurance policy ( I was the main driver). After we have split he was still using the vehicle and after he smashed it he rented a courtesy car about which I didn't know. He had signed a hire agreement under my name and surname and pretended to sign as myself (I don't know how that was even possible, I am female and he is a male!).

Hence, I'm hesitant to appeal as a registered keeper as I was not really the keeper either, of course not the driver as well.

Also, what I have seen is that on the evidence there is a man getting in the car who is not my partner and the vehicle was parked on the day when it was being delivered to my ex-partner.. so I believe that was the time when the vehicle was being delivered to my ex-partner.

I can obtain the copy of the hire lease but it is signed by my ex-partner. Also, it is now past the 21 day since receiving the notice as I was abroad..

I look forward to getting some help with this highly annoying matter!!

Thank you !!
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 21st Aug 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 5,555 Thanks
    waamo
    • 21st Aug 17, 1:14 PM
    • 21st Aug 17, 1:14 PM
    If you really dislike him you can name him as the driver at any time and let him deal with it.
    This space for hire.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 21st Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    • 37,401 Posts
    • 84,281 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:23 PM
    This sounds like fraud on the part of your ex partner to me.

It's up to you whether you want to name the driver or not, but you should be denying all knowledge of this. Emphasise that you are not the driver, keeper, owner, or hirer and stating that someone has forged your signature and provided false details. You will happily prove this in court and are quite prepared to contact the police if necessary.
    Don't hang about with doing this.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 21st Aug 17, 2:32 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:32 PM
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:32 PM
    This is surely identity theft and should be reported to the police, there's no telling what else has gone on.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 21st Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    • 21st Aug 17, 2:56 PM
    Yes, I woudl advise the police NOW.
    Fairly serious fraud on the part of the partner and obvious colusion from the hire company, who cannot have performed ANY identity checks eg. comparing to DL at all.
    • tati
    • By tati 22nd Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tati
    • 22nd Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    Thank you all for your responses.

I will now appeal denying all knowledge of this - I do hope they will not want to waste mine and their time by taking it to court later!

Have a good day everyone
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Aug 17, 3:53 PM
    • 61,622 Posts
    • 74,528 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 22nd Aug 17, 3:53 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 3:53 PM
    that's not what we said, and if it is an IPC firm they are very likely to try court.

You need a Police Incident Number as evidence of your case. Maybe not a Crime number, but certainly Incident No.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Grimble
    • By Grimble 22nd Aug 17, 5:36 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Grimble
    • 22nd Aug 17, 5:36 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 5:36 PM
    As you now admit knowing this has happened you need to report this to the police and DVLA, I think the term accessory after the fact comes to mind, i:e you knew of this and have done nothing.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 22nd Aug 17, 6:39 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Johnersh
    • 22nd Aug 17, 6:39 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 6:39 PM
    I think the term accessory after the fact comes to mind, i:e you knew of this and have done nothing.
    1. Except this is not the USA
    2. Except this is not a case in which the o/p has encouraged or assisted an offender
    3. Except English law imposes no obligation to report a fraud in these circumstances.

Get a police reference. Put car hire company and the PPC on notice of the concerns that you have - this is not exactly rocket science.

I will now appeal denying all knowledge of this
    John 11:35
    • Grimble
    • By Grimble 22nd Aug 17, 8:07 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Grimble
    English law also.
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 22nd Aug 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,177 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Do give me an Act and/or HMSO reference then....

Back on point, however, this does need to be dealt with as the PPC will keep on coming.
    • Grimble
    • By Grimble 23rd Aug 17, 12:04 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Grimble
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/accomplice#ref243600

https://theneedleblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/could-lord-mcalpine-be-charged-with-being-an-accessory-after-the-fact/
    Last edited by Grimble; 23-08-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 23rd Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 4,269 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    Tati - go ahead with teh police report. This must be formally recorded.
    • Grimble
    • By Grimble 24th Aug 17, 11:01 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Grimble
    Take the above advice, ask yourself what happens if he does not pay for the hire, how do you prove you were not involved? A police report covers you.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 24th Aug 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    have you checked to see if you can prove your where about's at the time and dates quoted ?

Ralph
    • tati
    • By tati 12th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    tati
    Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your support and advice.

I have appealed that letter back last year stating that I was not the driver, keeper or hirer. I did not report the case to the police as I thought the appeal would help.

Almost one year on Gladstones had found me at a completely new address (!!!) and sent me a LBC. They (kindly, or as they just say) are asking for payment in full otherwise they will commence legal proceedings.

Not again!!!

I plan to repeat that I was not the driver, keepr or hirer of the car in question and the fine was issued on the day the car was being delivered to my ex-partner. I will also state that my on the lease agreement there is my ex-partner's signature not mine and the hiring company has commited gross misconduct (not checking ID). The driver from a hiring compnay (I suppose) can be seen on the pictures which I retained from last year.

I will also state I am happy to show evidence in court and call the police if necessary.

Anything else I should add?

How on earth did they find my new address??

Many thanks kind people!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 61,622 Posts
    • 74,528 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    They traced you, and that's a good thing, better than getting a default CCJ to an old address.

Add to your words, to confirm your new address is the right one for service, and that they MUST NOT revert to your old address for the robo-claim*.

Enclose this:
    I can obtain the copy of the hire lease but it is signed by my ex-partner.

*use that word
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 12-07-2018 at 11:12 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Jul 18, 11:03 PM
    • 4,235 Posts
    • 5,555 Thanks
    waamo
    Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your support and advice.

I have appealed that letter back last year stating that I was not the driver, keeper or hirer. I did not report the case to the police as I thought the appeal would help.

Almost one year on Gladstones had found me at a completely new address (!!!) and sent me a LBC. They (kindly, or as they just say) are asking for payment in full otherwise they will commence legal proceedings.

Not again!!!

I plan to repeat that I was not the driver, keepr or hirer of the car in question and the fine was issued on the day the car was being delivered to my ex-partner. I will also state that my on the lease agreement there is my ex-partner's signature not mine and the hiring company has commited gross misconduct (not checking ID). The driver from a hiring compnay (I suppose) can be seen on the pictures which I retained from last year.

I will also state I am happy to show evidence in court and call the police if necessary.

Anything else I should add?

How on earth did they find my new address??

Many thanks kind people!
    Originally posted by tati
    I hate to say you were warned this was likely if you ignored the advice to report it to the police.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,360Posts Today

7,854Users online

Martin's Twitter