British gas collective to standard oct 2017

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just got my reminder from British Gas , phoned them up to discuss , they did not want to play ball and wish to impose a 40% hike.
    They can take a running jump as far as I am concerned , when can we expect a new switch ?

Energy suppliers are not like Sky: they are not allowed by Ofgem to negotiate 'one off' customer retention deals. You can switch today; do your own market comparison.
  • Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    Hengus - how do you do a whole market comparison? I am in the Cheap Energy Club so have no experience of doing it myself? My bill is set to go up £320 a year so am keen to try and have a look round :)
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • Pedro1877
    Pedro1877 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    From your bills work out the total kwh for each of gaz and leccy for the past 12 month period - write these down. The totals are given in the letter from BG informing you that the fix is coming to an end - you can check that they have added up correctly!.

Now go on to the various "comparison websites" They are all very similar and user friendly - Cheap energy club (CEC) here, on this MSE website, Compare the market, uswitch, etc etc just google "energy comparison sites". The CAB have a good one as well. Note ratings from customers as many of the new kids on the block do not have enough to be fairly rated, so do you gamble?

You will have to enter your postcode, the two annual useage figures you got from your bills (you may have to change the default boxes from £'s to kwh and months to years) whether you want to pay by DD, how frequently and what exact supplier and tariffs you are on - British Gas "Collective fix October 2017". After you fill in all the questions they will use their special algorithms/calculators to work out what the other energy companies are offering and then it is "decisions, decisions" ;)
  • mikeyorkie10
    Options
    Anyone have any experience with TogetherEnergy as they seem to be cheaper than any comparison site quote. They don't appear on MSE's Energy comparison - dunno why!
  • System
    Options
    Hengus - how do you do a whole market comparison? I am in the Cheap Energy Club so have no experience of doing it myself? My bill is set to go up £320 a year so am keen to try and have a look round :)

Make sure that your Current Tariffs Details are correct on the opening page of MSE CEC.

Click UP to Date Comparison and you will see on the LHS of the page ‘Show Full Market Comparison’. Note the other filters. For example, make sure that the All Tariff Button is selected. You will then see the cheapest deal with an annual estimated cost.

I then filter Fuel Type by electricity and then gas to see whether separate deals will give a lower annual cost.

For example, with my usage and postcode, If I switched to the cheapest dual fuel deal today it would cost me £6 a year more than I am paying at the moment. However, if I chose separate suppliers, I could save £15 per year on gas but electricity would cost me £6 a year more. It follows that by leaving my electricity supply where it is and just switching gas, I could save £15 a year on what I am paying today.

So you might well ask, ‘why are you not switching to save £15 a year’?. The answer is simple: the cheapest gas supplier is Economy Energy which according to MSE is being ‘probed by Ofgem’. My gas therefore is now supplied by Zog, the next cheapest supplier. I actually like a quiet life!!

I normally do a full market comparison once a month as tariffs are constantly being replaced with new ones. Even today, some are marginally cheaper than the ones that they replace. Sadly, the days of tariffs falling month on month are but a distant memory.
  • mcaussieuk
    Options
    We are also on the collective deal that finishes on October 3rd. I have just spoken to British Gas who tell me that because we are on a collective deal we can't change at the 49 days with no exit charge, but have to wait until it's 20 days. The guy I was talking to "checked with the experts". Is this correct?
  • System
    edited 22 August 2017 at 3:26PM
    Options
    mcaussieuk wrote: »
    We are also on the collective deal that finishes on October 3rd. I have just spoken to British Gas who tell me that because we are on a collective deal we can't change at the 49 days with no exit charge, but have to wait until it's 20 days. The guy I was talking to "checked with the experts". Is this correct?

Given that BG is currently under Ofgem investigation for all alledgedly giving out incorrect information, I cannot believe that CS understood the exam question. I would go back and ask them which specific Standard Licence Condition (SLC) applies to collective switches? CS will struggle to find one, as one doesn’t exist. The SLC regulations on fixed tariffs apply to all deals which have a contract end date. In other words, BG should be providing customers with the standard ‘Your fix tariff is ending’ notification. On receipt of this mailing, you are free to switch without the fear of getting hit by an exit fee.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-launches-investigation-british-gas-switching-terms
  • mcaussieuk
    Options
    Thank you Hengus and gsminx. I have just phoned them again and once I quoted "An Ofgem spokesperson said: "Energy suppliers are obliged to waive any termination fees for domestic customers wishing to switch supplier in the period of 49 days before their fixed deal comes to an end." from the link supplied by gsmix they have confirmed that we are free to leave with no exit fees. We have had the standard 'your tariff is ending' notification. So, off to join together energy through topcashback as they are our best supplier and might as well get a little back ;-)
  • British_Gas_Rep_Matt
    British_Gas_Rep_Matt Posts: 179 Organisation Representative
    Options
    mcaussieuk wrote: »
    Thank you Hengus and gsminx. I have just phoned them again and once I quoted "An Ofgem spokesperson said: "Energy suppliers are obliged to waive any termination fees for domestic customers wishing to switch supplier in the period of 49 days before their fixed deal comes to an end." from the link supplied by gsmix they have confirmed that we are free to leave with no exit fees. We have had the standard 'your tariff is ending' notification. So, off to join together energy through topcashback as they are our best supplier and might as well get a little back ;-)

Hi mcaussieuk, I'm disappointed to hear about your experience as it's something all advisors should've been aware about.
    Just to confirm that as you've found from your own investigations there aren't any fees charged if you switch suppliers in the last 49 days of any fixed deal. Thanks, Matt
    I am the official company representative of British Gas. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure