PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Deed of Variation.........how long?

Options
Hello

We have a deed of variation that myself and siblings have signed and returned it today to the solicitor, can someone advise how long it will take them to register it with the land registry (how long do the LR take to deal with the paperwork?) and how long it will take for our names to appear on the property?

Thanks

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Added 2-3 months to my previous purchase (due in part to some faffing around with an attempted indemnity policy).

See that piece of string there...

There's usually a Land Registry bod who pretty much says the same thing 'it can take a while'. Not a particularly quick process usually.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is it that you are varying?
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Options
    I've normally heard "deed of variation" used with respect to a will, where the beneficiaries of a will jointly agree to do something different to what the will says - e.g. the will says "sell the house and split the money", but the beneficiaries agree that one of them will pay the other half the value and keep the house. So I'm guessing the OP has just done something like that and is wondering how long it will now take for the house to be transferred into their names.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The time also depends on what you're varying and whether the property is freehold or leasehold.

If you're just varying a general term in the transfer/lease then it can be relatively quick providing all of the relevant parties have signed the deed etc.

If you are looking to vary the size of the property (or the term in the case of a lease), then it can take longer as it can have a wider impact on the title.

It can also complicate matters if there are charges (mortgages etc) on the title.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends

a) what you are varying (se the LR rep's Q above!), and

b) whether the Deed and other paperwork is correctly drawn up and submitted, and

c) which LR office it is submitted to, and

d) how busy that particular office is
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    c) which LR office it is submitted to

Applications are submitted to a central address and enter a work Q now. The timescale involved is more to do with what the application is for so....

like ThePants99 says such variations involving siblings tend to relate to wills. The variation wouldn't be made with us though but the next stage re transferring the property would. If that's transferring the whole of a registered title then the current average is 7 working days.

If it's unregistered then stretch that to an average of 67 working days

If it's a variation if a lease then 7 days again if a simple variation. Or 57 if varying the extent or length of term.

These are all average timescales though so the length if string and detail is important if OP wants to get a better idea of how long it's likely to take
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • axlajmal
    Options
    Hi,
    I am selling my flat, as part of the deal I agreed to extend the lease to 999 years. My solicitors have just applied to the Land Registry today to extend the lease. My question is how long does this typically take and can the solicitor expedite the process in any way?

Thanks

Alex
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:09PM
    Options
    It took the LR 3 months to act on a D of V to change a lease from 125 to 250 years once they had the correct paperwork. I rang them and was told they do not usually look at it until the 67 working day deadline is up and low and behold that is exactly what happened with us. Ditto having our purchase of the now extended lease.

They are very helpful but unfortunately they seem to have calendars marked out in months and not days.

PS this is a flat that was built and registered in 2005 with 125 yr lease, which got changed to 250yrs in 2008 but our sellers hadn't bother doing a DoV so we had to get them to do it first before we could buy. So it was a registered lease.
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Alex - because we were told there was long delays with the LR my solicitor got the sellers solicitor to do a deed of undertaking (I think it was) which meant that the sellers solicitor would ensure that the D o V to extend the lease was done. This meant that we could exchange and complete months before the D o V was completed.

Given the likely delays and the fact we would not exchange until sorted this was a really good way of us completing the purchase. Otherwise the idea of waiting for 3 months for the LR and then exchange was too risky.

We are in Wales (Swansea area) don't know if other parts of the LR are as slow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure