Could hubby claim anything?

My husband injured his back at work many years ago. It's gotten worse over the years, the last 12 months in particular. Is there anything he could claim?

TIA
The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My husband injured his back at work many years ago. It's gotten worse over the years, the last 12 months in particular. Is there anything he could claim?

TIA
    Take a look at this link for PIP. It's not means tested but you would need evidence to support a claim. Any other benefits would depend on circumstances. http://www.focusondisability.org.uk/personal-independence-payment-PIP-assessment-points.html
  • My OH got PIP care without any evidence last year.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • My husband was finally referred to the hospital where they are certain it's a bulging disc. He's awaiting an MRI scan to see how best to treat it. I know it's bad because he's not a wimp and he's deteriorated really quickly this year :(. We're going to wait until he has had the MRI and go from there.
  • mumcoll
    mumcoll Posts: 393 Forumite
    My hubby has a bulging disc that causes intermittent pain in his leg. Although the pain isnt always there, the fear of it is constant and severely impacts his life. He gets PIP and we are very grateful!
  • Penitent wrote: »
    Does your husband have a bad back?

Or is his disability something that can be easily observed?

Edit:
    I'm not asking to be nosey, BTW, I'm just pointing out that your husband's situation may not be relevant to the OP and if they take your response to mean it's okay not to send any evidence, they may not receive the help they need.

I also know someone who was able to claim without evidence, but they were undergoing cancer treatment at the time. The DWP are considerably less forgiving with conditions like chronic pain.

Long time back problems
  • My husband's MRI results have come back. He has a large bulging disc which will more than likely need surgery. They said even though he's in severe pain, because at the moment it isn't causing any long term damage, he won't be classed as a priority. Do we go down the PIP route? X
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    My husband's MRI results have come back. He has a large bulging disc which will more than likely need surgery. They said even though he's in severe pain, because at the moment it isn't causing any long term damage, he won't be classed as a priority. Do we go down the PIP route? X
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's about how those conditions affect you daily. Look at the link i posted in post #2 to see what you think. You'll need evidence to support a claim also.

I have a bulging disc and was told that it's quite common in people over a certain age. I was also told the same as your hubby, that surgery was not a priority.

I claim PIP but it's not for this reason.
  • nextyeartina
    nextyeartina Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2017 at 5:57PM
    Hi Poppy. I know it's not about a diagnosis. It is affecting him daily. He can't walk far, he can't put his own socks on, he needs help in the shower, he's not sleeping. I just wish his pain was manageable :( X
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    venison wrote: »
    My OH got PIP care without any evidence last year.

A bare statement like that is suggesting that anybody could put a claim in for PIP and the claim would simply be allowed, which is clearly ridiculous. The claim process is gathering evidence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure