First Plus and ppi pre 2005

Options
Hi, I suspect I've no chance with this from what I've seen on other posts but this is just a bit different so hoping someone may be able to help.
In March 1999 me and my ex husband took out a stupid secured loan with FIrstplus with their now infamous 5 year ppi which they said you would get back in cash after 5 years as long as no claims were made.
It was very hard sell indeed and front loaded onto our loan of £25,000. It was certainly never explained how the interest was loaded for the entire length of the loan.

I finally decided to try and complain a few weeks ago. Yes I know rather late!! But as if was pre 2005 I thought I wouldn't be able to.
Anyway Barclays who now own FIrstplus say it was bought through a broker so will be rejecting it.
Since putting in the claim i came across more paperwork and I remembered that we actually moved in 2000 and couldn't pay it off so moved the loan with us.
I found the second credit agreement which strangely was for the whole £25,000 again plus the ppi. We had signed it again in July 2000. However It did gave the same account number as the first one which perhaps could be an issue. But it's definitely a different agreement and we even had s different witness.
This was directly through FIrstplus.
Does anyone know if this would put a different light on it? I mean in the sense it was not via the broker at this stage? Yes it was prior 2005 but FIrstplus was then part of the Woolwich and I have heard of ppi refunds being done at that time.
It was completely paid off in 2003 after divorce and house sale.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the whole debacle took place pre-regulation.

Your "second" Agreement has the same account number as the first, so it's just a continuation of the original finance.

You've already been rejected, I'm afraid, so the new documentation you've found cannot form the basis of any new complaint.
  • Advice4sue
    Advice4sue Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    I thought probably the case. Although the rejection has only just happened, would that still mean I couldn't go back at this stage? Or am I just wasting time? The whole thing was appal
  • Advice4sue
    Options
    Sorry last post sent too soon. I was going to say appalling!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    Advice4sue wrote: »
    Although the rejection has only just happened, would that still mean I couldn't go back at this stage?
    Go back and say what? The "new" documentation you have found is the same finance which has already been rejected. It is all pre-regulation

You have no access to the Ombudsman either.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Advice4sue wrote: »
    I thought probably the case. Although the rejection has only just happened, would that still mean I couldn't go back at this stage? Or am I just wasting time? The whole thing was appal

Barlays dont have liability as it was broker sold and it was pre-regulation. So, its a dead duck.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Advice4sue
    Options
    Thanks folks. I guess that's it! I. I guess I've looked a bit stupid with this!! Although if I had any recollection it was initially taken out via broker I wouldn't have approached Barclays but I must accept what they say.
    I was just genuinely confused at finding a further later credit agreement.
    Anyway that's the end of the whole sorry saga.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,574 Forumite
    Options
    You can try complaining to the underwriter but that is again a shot in the dark.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,006 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Go for the underwriter/s a member on this site did (di3004) for a loan before 97 and won.
    are you harley on legal beagles?. Your post seems very familiar.
  • Advice4sue
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your reply ��yes I went on there as well. I just wanted to explore more options.
  • Advice4sue
    Options
    Sorry my reply above had question marks! Wasn't supposed to. Doing it on my iPhone and typos are so easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure