dog burps loudly after eating

My dog has always been a reluctant eater, he is 9 now and seems almost afraid to eat. He trembles and then slinks away when I put his food out and only with persuasion will he eat it.

He must be eating enough as he's a normal weight but the palaver getting him to eat is ridiculous!

Recently he has been burping loudly after meals and I'm wondering if this might indicate any kind of gastric problem which may possibly cause the reluctance to eat.

He's a whippet/labrador first cross and still very active and agile when outdoors...but seems miserable when indoors despite having constant company and loads of cuddles and reassurance.

The vet has pronounced him fit and healthy.

Comments

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    When he does finally eat after persuasion does he eat slowly or gulp his food down? One of my fosters used to gulp food down and then burp a lot but a slow feeder bowl fixed that. Can also be caused by gulping water (my girl now does this, gulps it down practically flooding the kitchen at the same time then burps out the air before carrying on as normal)

A quick google also suggests it can be caused by a minor reaction to the food or if he's had treats particularly things like rawhide that sit in the stomach for a while releasing gasses whilst being digested. So if it's not the eating or drinking too fast it would be worth changing the food and cutting out chew treats for a while to see if it helps. Sounds like the poor boy is in some discomfort from it if he's reluctant to even eat.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    One of my dogs was a reluctant eater form the day she arrived as 12 week old pup. After 2 years I discovered she was sensitive to wheat gluten and once I changed her food she never looked back.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    When he does finally eat after persuasion does he eat slowly or gulp his food down? One of my fosters used to gulp food down and then burp a lot but a slow feeder bowl fixed that. Can also be caused by gulping water (my girl now does this, gulps it down practically flooding the kitchen at the same time then burps out the air before carrying on as normal)

A quick google also suggests it can be caused by a minor reaction to the food or if he's had treats particularly things like rawhide that sit in the stomach for a while releasing gasses whilst being digested. So if it's not the eating or drinking too fast it would be worth changing the food and cutting out chew treats for a while to see if it helps. Sounds like the poor boy is in some discomfort from it if he's reluctant to even eat.
    He eats very slowly, attempting to walk away a couple of times throughout the meal.

Then I'll tell him he's a good boy etc. and he'll eat a bit more - he's hard work. I'd hate to think he is in discomfort...although I have to say, when he's given something like steak trimmings (I get desperate at times) he practically has my hand off.

This burping is a new thing though.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,536 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Do you feed him close to exercise- I mean just before or just after? I'm thinking of something like bloat...As he is whippet cross he is likely to be deep chested....

My boy loves his food but he is wheat intolerant and had dreadful poos (yes, I know it's not the same problem) so much so that if you blew a raspberry sound he would run away.... he knew that sound and the consequences.

What are you feeding him?
    If relevant I'd be thinking about trying - for starters- gluten free. I like Burgess sensitive lamb (oh, and so does the dog!!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • zaksmum
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Do you feed him close to exercise- I mean just before or just after? I'm thinking of something like bloat...As he is whippet cross he is likely to be deep chested....

My boy loves his food but he is wheat intolerant and had dreadful poos (yes, I know it's not the same problem) so much so that if you blew a raspberry sound he would run away.... he knew that sound and the consequences.

What are you feeding him?
    If relevant I'd be thinking about trying - for starters- gluten free. I like Burgess sensitive lamb (oh, and so does the dog!!)

I never feed him close to exercise - always give it a good few hours before and after his meals.

I feed him on CSJ Lamb and Rice Complete dry food but I do add a bit of wet food to make it more appetising for him - not that it makes any difference. He won't eat it either way unless he's desperate.

I've tried every dog food on the market, and short of giving up and feeding him best steak I just don't know what else I can do.
  • Gilead
    Gilead Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You clearly feel he doesn't have an allergy which is good.

It's a difficult one as encouraging him to eat might get him into the pattern where he possibly views it as needing permission to eat his food. Sometimes it is just best to either leave his food out and even if he only grazes it over time then at least he is eating. Or, put the food out at set times only and remove it if he doesn't eat. Maybe too simplistic, but I've done both in the past with different dogs and it can work.

Our current dog when we changed its food wolfed it down too fast and would be sick, so we spread it out over the course of an hour. Prior to the change she would ignore her food for ages then suddenly take a notion.

Good luck.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Your situation reminds me a bit of the battle of wills in trying to get a toddler to eat. No. Shan't. Turn away.

Have you tried just putting the food down at set hours and not making any fuss whatsoever? Put the food down and walk away. Into a different room if needs be. Give the dog complete freedom ( including the physical exit route from the eating area), and choice to eat for 30 minutes. Then take the food away. Put down for another 30 minutes at the set time and walk away. Try it for a couple of days. He'll either eat of his own volition, in privacy, or not. He might just be overwhelmed by the constant attention and is associating it negatively.

If he likes raw food, why not increase that in his diet? Lots of information on raw food feeding on MSE and the web. Meat trimmings can be bought cheaply from a proper butcher.
  • zaksmum
    I have tried everything. If I put food down and walk away he'll beat me to the door and hide somewhere, keeping what seems to be terrified eyes on me. I could leave it down all day, he still wouldn't eat till he was on the verge of starvation.

Makes no difference when I remove it after 30 minutes, he just seems relieved.

It's ridiculous!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you tried not feeding from a bowl? I know with rescues that are reluctant to eat the food is just fed on a plastic mat, the type you get to put the bowls on normally.
  • zaksmum
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    Have you tried not feeding from a bowl? I know with rescues that are reluctant to eat the food is just fed on a plastic mat, the type you get to put the bowls on normally.

Yes have tried that too. He will eat if I take his food out on our walks and make a huge fuss - like "Oh....what's this...?" and put bits on the ground all the way throughout our walk.

But that's hardly ideal, is it?

I just want a normal doggy appetite for him!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure