Do EANs track on search in Ebay?

Options
Just received my first "Your Ebay Listing is Confirmed" emails after an almost 3 year voluntary hiatus from Ebay.

I've been toying with it for a while now and when I was checking Ebay to see how my products would sell now I noticed that there were several of my own brand products being dropshipped from Amazon. In some cases there was quite a hefty mark up and products had been selling.

Does anyone know if the EANs carry any search?

As I said several of my products have been sold up to now and as I'm 30-40% cheaper I wondered if they would appear quicker in search as the EANs are the same.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use EANS to search. IME they find some but not all (as in perhaps 20 listings when you know there are 30). They are never found when I search from my own shop (for a listing I am trying to locate quickly).

But I stick with them.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I use EANS to search. IME they find some but not all (as in perhaps 20 listings when you know there are 30). They are never found when I search from my own shop (for a listing I am trying to locate quickly).

But I stick with them.
    Thanks.
    I also wanted to know if EANs work on unsold listings.
    So if I was selling "Jar of Blue Mustard" that was EAN 123456 for £5 and then another seller came along selling the same item for £3, with the same EAN and someone searched "Blue mustard" would the lower price EAN come up in the search even though it was a new seller with no sales?

I think that made sense. It costs me enough money on EANs that I can hope they're actually finally worth something to me.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think if someone searched "blue mustard" they would get all blue mustards. That may or may not include your EAN and the other EAN depending on how search was "feeling" at the time.

In truth, I don't think any buyer would search on an EAN unless it was a specific item they were having difficulty finding - yellow bananas - i.e. where there are too many; or too few - orange mustard with yellow dots.

It does however help sellers. One of my top selling items is the first results in eBay.co.uk and I don't have the EAN. I removed (or failed to add it) intentionally as I don't want any other sellers to find it.

I do include EANs otherwise and they are usually found via google rather than eBay.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

I do include EANs otherwise and they are usually found via google rather than eBay.
    Interesting, thanks. It's probably the biggest change so far. Last time I sold on Ebay I wouldn't have cared, I tended to sell mixed lots that didn't have EANs. Since I stopped I've built up a range of my own products on Amazon, so I can just add what I like to Ebay. I was hoping the fact that some have been sold already at a higher price might give me an advantage.

I've currently got no expectations at all, it may be that products start flying or nothing happens. It's a relatively quiet time for me until the end of August so I can afford to mess about with it and see how it goes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure