Car finance & unstable address history

Hello,

Bit of an uncommon one here as I can't find much online about it, sadly!

Firstly, I'm in a pickle as my old 52 plate Astra is about to pack in and I need it for my commute to work. I can't get Hire Purchase finance on a car because I have had more than 3 addresses in 3 years so they won't even look at me... apparently - even though my credit history, apart from this, is pretty good all-round.

I've considered my options - new credit card, loan, borrow off family etc., none of which are feasible for reasons such as ridiculous interest rates or probability of approval on certain things. This is all because of my poor/unstable address history. I have a credit card with around £1000 "spare" available to spend, but with a high rate on purchases, so I am avoiding this option at all costs. I also have no savings.

I have checked both my Experian and Equifax credit profiles within the past week. Experian has me down in the poor (almost average) section and Equifax has me in the OK/stable/on the right track section.

From what I can gather, again, this is all because I have moved house quite a bit over the past few years. I have had 4 addresses within the last 3 years, all down to circumstances.

Does anybody know whether there are any car leasing/finance companies who will consider me without offering a silly rate? Perhaps with a more bespoke underwriting process which takes individual circumstances into account? I worked in car finance (brokerage) for a short period, and know that I would have no joy with a Hire Purchase contract, but no idea whether leasing works differently?

Any guidance would be much appreciated :beer:

Thanks

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you have not saved anything is HP really for you?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Do you have anyone who could be a guarantor that does have a stable address history?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Do you have anyone who could be a guarantor that does have a stable address history?

That is the worst suggestion ever. Nobody on this forum should ever suggest someone being a guarantor, it is that bad and fraught with problems.

If a loan company aren't prepared to take on the risk why is it fair to get someone to have a family member or friend do it for them risking the resulting breakdown in relationship that inevitably happens? There are enough horror stories on the Loans board of people who have been guarantors where its gone south for anyone to work out it is a bad idea.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    That is the worst suggestion ever. Nobody on this forum should ever suggest someone being a guarantor, it is that bad and fraught with problems.

If a loan company aren't prepared to take on the risk why is it fair to get someone to have a family member or friend do it for them risking the resulting breakdown in relationship that inevitably happens? There are enough horror stories on the Loans board of people who have been guarantors where its gone south for anyone to work out it is a bad idea.

That's the hugest generalisation ever. For sure there are many situations where it doesn't work, but that doesn't mean it's always a bad thing. Not so many years ago it was quite routine for car loans to have guarantors.

Just because it isn't right for everyone doesn't mean it isn't right for anyone.
  • With some companies you will be ok with a manual referral, in which case you need to show 3 months bank statement or similar to show you have the dough at the end of the month to pay. The finance companies want to lend to you if you can afford it.

I would ring up the biggest car finance firms and ask to speak to the approvals department and have a chat with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure