MBNA app instant update

I paid £30 for goods using my MBNA contactless card this afternoon. The card terminal was happy with the transaction, it beeped and showed 'approved' on the screen. However, the stores till displayed a 'please wait' message. So.....we waited. One minute....two minutes....three.......five.......queue building up. A supervisor was called who made it quite clear, so that everyone in the shop could hear, that the transaction had not gone through and I would have to pay again, at a different till. His attitude really got up my nose. I told him that the terminal had authorised the transaction and the hold up was down to the store's equipment, but he was having none of it and said, if I didn't pay again, I wasn't taking the goods.
I quickly logged on to the app and saw the transaction there as pending. So, milking it, I shoved the phone in his face and told him that perhaps his company should arrange a training day so that the supervisors understood how these things work, so as to serve customers better. He didn't apologise, but there was no need, the look he was getting from the queue was enough for me. :T
I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The one perk of contactless is its a near live system so updates to pending transactions on MBNA
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Just make sure MBNA doesn't then send the money back. "Pending" can mean the retailer has asked for the funds to be earmarked, but hasn't actually taken them.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Just make sure MBNA doesn't then send the money back. "Pending" can mean the retailer has asked for the funds to be earmarked, but hasn't actually taken them.
    Send the money back where...exactly?
  • anm72
    anm72 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What can happen is the retailer asks for the money so it shows pending on your account if the transaction does not finalise ie the system freezes the retailer does not claim the money and the money will return to your account normally 3-4 days later.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    anm72 wrote: »
    What can happen is the retailer asks for the money so it shows pending on your account if the transaction does not finalise ie the system freezes the retailer does not claim the money and the money will return to your account normally 3-4 days later.

Well, yes, I know that. But why should it happen in this case, and why would I worry about it? The card reader terminal authorised the payment, it will go through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure