Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • AlanHarper
    • By AlanHarper 15th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Protecting assets for JSA/Housing benefit
    • #1
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    Protecting assets for JSA/Housing benefit 15th Jul 17 at 2:10 PM
    For the last 6 years I have been saving as much as I could to buy my first home, I have currently managed to save 21,000.

    Unfortunately the company I am working for is struggling, and I have heard through the grapevine that the chances of all of us having a job in 3 months time is 50:50. I am therefore planning for the future. The worst case scenario is that I am unemployed in a few months time, and from what I have read unable to claim any benefit due to my savings.

    Having nearly saved enough for a deposit, the last thing I want is to see it to quickly disappear at a rate of over 1000 a month (we are 2 adults and 2 kids under school age).

    Obviously I could just go out and buy a car, to replace the rust bucket I am driving. Then I would be eligible for benefits. However I don't really wish to do this.

    I have read conflicting information that you can put 3000 in each childs savings account, which is ignored. If this is correct it would bring me below the 16,000 upper limit for benefits.

    Could I put my money into inaccessible fund or pension pot ?

    Are there legal ways/financial transactions I can make, or saving methods that I can perform now, just in case the worst scenario happens ?

    Many thanks
    Last edited by AlanHarper; 15-07-2017 at 2:12 PM.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 15th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • #2
    • 15th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    You can't do anything if your motivation is to intentionally deprive yourself of capital. Should you do so you would be treated as if you still have the money.

    You would be entitled to contributions based JSA if you have been in regular work for the past few years (currently assessed on 2015/16 and 14/15). That would not look at any capital you have.

    Start searching for a new job now, then hopefully you won't have to claim at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,835Posts Today

7,429Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin