Quote given and then charged for

Options
I was asked by my boss to find out the cost of a solicitor to carry out some work on a lease.
I contacted three solicitors via email and explained the issue and asked for a quote of their estimated costs and time.
All solicitors went through some of the issues and gave me estimated costs. As it turned out we didn't need to use a solicitor.
Two months down the line I got a letter detailing charges for one of the solicitors. it suggests that the advice given in the response email was chargeable at approx £120.
I queried the amount by phone and was told that it would be dealt with. Two years later I have had a nasty email saying I still owe the money and now a letter from their debt department.
What is the best way to respond? I have a feeling they may take me to court and would like to avoid that if possible.
When does a quote become chargeable?

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ask them to show where you've agreed for chargeable work to take place. If you want a quote, you have to provide details to them, they should know that.

I've had legal fees as low as £100 going up to a lot of money in various matters, highlighting why you went to get quotes from 3 different firms.

Whenever I've had to use a solicitor all fees have been agreed up front. I don't think they'd get far by taking the matter to court as long as all your paperwork is in order.

Standard rule; no contract = no money.
    💙💛 💔
  • foolofbeans
    foolofbeans Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you CKhalvashi.
    I was just worried as I did outline the issues in an email and the solicitor did go through it in a reply email and then told me the hourly rate and estimated time. I shall respond to them asking where I actually commissioned the work from them.
    Quite shocking that a solicitor can behave in this way.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you CKhalvashi.
    I was just worried as I did outline the issues in an email and the solicitor did go through it in a reply email and then told me the hourly rate and estimated time. I shall respond to them asking where I actually commissioned the work from them.
    Quite shocking that a solicitor can behave in this way.

They need to inform you a consultation is chargeable and what the conditions are.

Contact the solicitors in question and ask them what their complaints procedure is. If they dont subsequently cancel the charge after making a complaint, complain to the ombudsman.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure