Water damage to tv

Hello,

I'm not certain this is the best place to post but wasn't sure where else would be better, so here goes.

My toddler was helping me with some cleaning today. Unfortunately he decided to clean the tv screen by spraying it with water. I noticed about a minute later, and immediately dried the tv off with kitchen paper. Initially it looked fine, but then about 10 mins later a thin, black, vertical line appeared on the screen. I turned it off and dried it some more, then left it as we had to go out. This was about 6 hours ago now and I've just turned it back on to find the line is still there. There is no other obvious damage, functionality seems fine, just this line.

So my questions are these:
Is this likely to be permanent or will it resolve when it dries out fully?
If it is permanent, is it fixable if I take it to a repair place or would it be prohibitively expensive? It's a Samsung led smart tv, approx 5 years old.
Would we be better off claiming on the household insurance? Bear in mind that we had never claimed before, ever, in 8 years of sharing a home together (or, indeed, previously) bit last month the damned cat knocked a glass of water over our laptop so we have just claimed for that. They literally offered us a replacement yesterday. This will, I'm sure, look like we are taking the Mick. With that in mind, should we put up with the line on the tv for a couple of months and then claim? Or just suck it up and replace the tv ourselves?

Ugh my husband is out tonight, he's going to be delighted when he sees this in the morning.

Oh, and I know I'm a newbie but only because I have forgotten my username and password and no longer have access to my old email address! I used to frequent these boards fairly regularly but have lurked and observed less frequently for the past year or so. And now I've come crawling back...

Anyway. Hope someone can offer some helpful advice. Feel free to move me on if this would be better posted elsewhere.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'd turn it off, unplug it and leave it to dry as slowly and naturally as it can. Don't try and put it somewhere warm or turn a hairdryer on it, just leave it to dry. Then try it again after, say, 24 hours. If the line is still there, call your insurers. You've already made a claim so any no claim benefit has already gone. You'll have to pay the excess of course and depending on how much that is and how old the TV is, you may decide it's more sensible to just buy a new one and perhaps use the damaged one as a spare in another room, or offer it on eBay with the fault made clear.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The lesson to learn here is be really and truly honest , its the only way . Any other way is at the very least dishonest and at worse bordering on fraud. Hope it works when its dried out so none of this is relevant
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A 5 year old TV is probably worth much less than the excess on your policy. What did it cost new, what size is it?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • It's 40", honestly can't remember what it cosy new. Would be worth more than the excess to replace though, wouldn't it?
  • *cost new (can't seem to edit post on mobile)
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Very unlikely it makes economic sense to repair.

A new 40" Samsung HD is in the £350 to £400 range - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/12b/Samsung-UE40K5500-40-Inch-1080p-Full-Smart-TV/B01EKZOH9U
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure