Financial help for Family member with heart issues

Options
Hi,

Hoping someone can advise
Family member had heart attack last year, has had to have the machine fitted to shock him should he need it (no pacemaker as he was told it wouldn't help and the damage is permanent). He can get around to an extent. But often has to leave work early as can't finish shifts and struggles. OH works part time and picks up extra shifts where she can but is not on a great income.

He has just been told needs a hip replacement which is very dangerous in his condition, but the alternative is he will probably end up in a wheelchair as suffers with it a lot. They're on council list as private renting at minute but want a bit more security as they're getting older and don't wish to rely on landlord not wanting to sell.

If/When he has the hip done, hes going to be out of work and unsure of sickness pay etc. Who should they speak to regarding any entitlement if he is unable to continue working? (He can't do it now to be honest, but he's quite independant and goes anyway, just often can't stay the whole shift). Noone I know really been in this situation so unsure what to advise them but want to help/find out info.

He does get a small pension but nothing near enough to let him retire (Mid sixties)

Any help appreciated. Whether he might be entitled/who they should speak to.

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He should speak to his local CAB.

Possibilities now would include PIP:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/before-claiming/check-you-are-eligible/

Are they earning too much now for Tax Credits?

When he has hip op:
    SSP and after that ends (and if still unable to work) new style (contribution based) ESA.

Plus Housing Benefit, Council Tax reduction.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • jmgrice
    jmgrice Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks thats great. Im not sure about tax credits, Combined they earn roughly 34 (his is 22500), but also gets pension about 300 per month i think.

Would he get ESA based on heart issue or hip? As probably heart thats actually stopping him, he just wont stop, but getting a bit worried as for him to be leaving early means hes really struggling. If i can point them who to talk to (Thanks again), then it may help
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is he of state pension age?
  • jmgrice
    Options
    Couple of years off. Turns 62 this year
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jmgrice wrote: »
    Couple of years off. Turns 62 this year

Thanks, you said 'mid sixties' in which case the advice given might be incorrect :)

All good though!
  • jmgrice
    Options
    My fault, i didn't work it out until you asked :D

Thanks to all who've helped, will have a sit down this weekend. Suppose its hard as hes still currently getting to work!

J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport