PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

how long does exchange take?

Options
We are meant to be exchanging today for the house we are selling according to our estate agent yesterday but we haven't heard anything from our solicitor yet. We tried emailing and calling but shes busy.

How quick is the exchange? As in will it only take 20-30 mins to do? Just we need to tell our other solicitor dealing with the house we are buying to exchange on the same day as our mortgage lender needs 5 working days before completion for some reason. As we haven't heard anything yet we cant tell our solicitor to exchange for house we buying and looks like it will late on in the afternoon.

We only found out yesterday we were exchanging as our buyers have been waiting on some money for months. Grrrr stressful times!

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The process of exchanging contracts is really only a telephone call between the solicitors, so 30secs, 60secs - not long.

You need to make sure the solicitor acting on your sale liaises with the solicitor acting on your purchase - this is why most people use the same solicitor for both sides of the transaction, to avoid such complications.

Almost all mortgage lenders require 5 working days between exchange and completion to make sure the money is available on completion day.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're mad! Why use 2 different solictors?

There is a risk you will Excange on the sale but the purchase may fall through. By using the same solicitor, he'd ensure that both took place simultaneously, and if one were delayed/fell through, he'd not Exchange on the other.

Stop phoning. He'll call you if/when he's Exchanged. Meantime he keeps getting messages from you via his switchboard interrupting his attempts to Exchange!

Surrey_EA is right up to a point - it's a phone call. But it may be a whole series of calls. In a long chain, the solicitors all have to ring each other (maybe 5 properties? 10? 15? all changing hands simultaneously?) to ensure that each one is ready, so that's quite a few phone calls back/forth.

And it only takes one solicitor to find a last minute issue, or one client to suddenly announce they want to wait a week because of sickness) for the whole chain to collapse........
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    While you're on the phone to the solicitor - the other solicitor who is trying to get hold of them to exchange is being told "Sorry - line's busy, can you call back?"
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My experience has been an hour or two of calls seem to happen and then it's confirmed. It should definitely happen within one working day. I took the option of distracting myself as much as possible on exchange days so that I'm not waiting by the phone!
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in the same boat today - on tenterhooks waiting for confirmation that it's all gone through!
  • Vixstar
    Vixstar Posts: 967 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We're waiting too. Starting to convince myself it won't happen today :(
  • jonathanrolande
    Options
    The exchange itself is just a minute or so but takes longer as all paperwork needs to be in order first and sometimes the solicitors just miss eachother on the phone for a while – frustrating but common!
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Mine just went through - Hope the others who are waiting got theirs as well
  • Vixstar
    Vixstar Posts: 967 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours went through at 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories