Need to purchase a van

Options
spikescot2005
spikescot2005 Posts: 349 Forumite
edited 14 July 2017 at 10:35AM in Motoring
Looking for some help and advice. I need to purchase a van for my business, i have £3000 to spend and looking for something the size of either a Peugeot Expert, Citroen Dispatch, Fiat Skudo but could go to the size of a Nissan NV200 or transit size.

My question, is it better to go for something older 07-09 plate with 100,000-130,000 miles or something newer 13-14 plate but higher mileage 170,000-200,000 miles?

For example Nissan NV200 13 plate, full service history with 8 dealer stamps, 1 owner, 179,000 on the clock, 12 months MOT = £2500

or

Citroen Dispatch 08 plate, full service history, 2 owners, 72,000, on the clock price, 12 months MOT = £2975

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What ones in better condition? What have they been used for? I'd probably favor one owned by a small shop doing flowers or something over one used by a builder/joiner.

72,000 miles seems pretty low for a 9 year old van, that's 8k/year. So I'd check what it was doing and how well it's been looked after.

But at that budget it's condition, condition, then condition.
  • getmeouttahere
    Options
    We've just bought a van for our business (a peugeot partner). When we were looking, we looked at everything from small peugeot bipper size vans, up to the Nissan nv200's. Alot of the vans seemed to have been battered (I remember looking at one 14 plate small van and the plastic on the inside of the rear doors was in pieces, and the van was generally not well looked after).

Someone gave us similar advice to Herzlos above, and told us to look at the condition, not the age, and if the van has been looked after, it'll likely be good.

We ended up with a 13 reg, with 74k on the clock and it's super clean inside and out. Has a small issue now with ABS light coming on but still really pleased with it overall.
  • davidwood123
    Options
    Buy on condition with vans.

Unfortunately, van prices are sky high and you get far less for your money than you did 10 years ago.

Luckily, you have a chance with that budget and a small van. If you were after something bigger you'd need more money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure