Ebay returns, have I done all I need?

Received a product a few days, its clearly faulty. Last time I had an issue (years ago) you raised a case but it seems more 'laid back' now.

I raised a return request with the reason 'defective' as I couldn't see any other option?

I had a communication from the seller today offering a small refund for me to go get it repaired, ludicrous. Who can repair a tablet these days? and not sourcing and fitting a new mainboard for £20 Obviously I replied insisting on a return for full refund.

Is there anyway to cut short this carrying on if they keep making offers (short of full refund)?

I want to buy elsewhere but cannot in case the seller decides to replace instead of refund?

or do I just have to wait until Ebay intervene? I can see this taking months!

Thanks.
European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Unfortunately you need to wait till EBay intervene. I had a problem last year and the seller waited till the final day before accepting the return. If they do nothing then Ebay will most likely force them to refund. You can then refuse to return the item until they provide a pre-paid label. Just remember if they accept the return then make sure it is returned by a tracked method. Just so there is no argument over whether they got it back or not.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It won't take months.

You can ask Ebay to help from day 8. The seller will be asked to provide you a prepaid returns label, if they don't ebay will provided it and bill the seller.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Thanks, reassuring to know I hadn't missed anything. :beer:

Sorry another question. Is it all only about returning/refunding now or can the seller propose and force me to take a replacement?

I am not inclined to accept another of a product that failed so quickly so want to buy something else. Thanks
  • Huskydays
    Huskydays Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    sillygoose wrote: »

Sorry another question. Is it all only about returning/refunding now or can the seller propose and force me to take a replacement?

I am not inclined to accept another of a product that failed so quickly so want to buy something else. Thanks

There's nothing to stop the seller from proposing a replacement but he can't force you to take it. It sounds like your purchase is covered by eBays money back guarantee (check here: https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/) which means if an item is not as described (i.e. defective) you can get a refund.
    The seller will be asked to provide you a prepaid returns label, if they don't ebay will provided it and bill the seller.
    When the seller provides the label, make sure it is suitable for the item (i.e. tracked and insured for the item's full value) before you post.
    A witty saying proves nothing
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

No a seller cannot enforce a replacement, in fact the eBay system isn't set up for a replacement situation.
  • sillygoose
    Excellent, thanks!
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Huskydays wrote: »

When the seller provides the label, make sure it is suitable for the item (i.e. tracked and insured for the item's full value) before you post.

Isn't the insurance bit is up to the seller when they issue the label. If they choose not to use a service which covers the item for the full value, that's up to them - or not??
  • sillygoose
    Sorry to drag this on.. don't want to get caught out.

Got this from the seller today..

1. we would like to refund you 23 gbp as a compensation if you can kindly keep it, this way will help you use it sooner and save your time to return it.
    2. if you still want to return it, of course, we accept return and refund.

Please return the item via the cheapest way with tracking number to the following address.
    And please note that our third party warehouse cannot accept Cash On Delivery. Here is the address:

No mention of a return label, is this the wrong thing to do in that I will struggle to get my postage back? how do I make get the seller to send me a prepaid label?

Thank you
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Sorry to drag this on.. don't want to get caught out.

Got this from the seller today..

1. we would like to refund you 23 gbp as a compensation if you can kindly keep it, this way will help you use it sooner and save your time to return it.
    2. if you still want to return it, of course, we accept return and refund.

Please return the item via the cheapest way with tracking number to the following address.
    And please note that our third party warehouse cannot accept Cash On Delivery. Here is the address:

No mention of a return label, is this the wrong thing to do in that I will struggle to get my postage back? how do I make get the seller to send me a prepaid label?

Thank you

Right, you are dealing with a Chinese or Hong Kong seller here, the reason they are offering you the partial is that they do not want you to return it, they will never get it back from their warehouse.

Do not send it to any address until you have a parcel label from Ebay.

I would not correspond any further - I really hate sellers like this, almost certainly they are avoid VAT by holding stock in the UK, while fiddling the VAT by importing them as books or low value toys'

Escalate as soon as you can.
  • sillygoose
    edited 14 July 2017 at 9:22AM
    bxboards wrote: »
    Right, you are dealing with a Chinese or Hong Kong seller here, the reason they are offering you the partial is that they do not want you to return it, they will never get it back from their warehouse.

Do not send it to any address until you have a parcel label from Ebay.

I would not correspond any further - I really hate sellers like this, almost certainly they are avoid VAT by holding stock in the UK, while fiddling the VAT by importing them as books or low value toys'

Escalate as soon as you can.

Yes, now selling out of China but originally shipped my item from a UK address. Is it not worth me just asking them to issue a return label and then leave it at that until Ebay steps in?

Ebay "We'll send you an email when the seller responds to your request. If you're not able to agree on a solution or the seller has not responded by 21 Jul, 2017, you can ask us to step in and help." so I can't do anything else until after this date?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure