Activation

Options
It seems the norm for banks to ask you to activate your credit card via the phone now, but I believe some offer online activation.

Any thoughts on why some banks offer online activation for debit cards but insist you use the phone for credit cards? Surely they use the same checks for both. Why not offer the alternative for both?
Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Different checks, different customer groups, different cross sell strategies, different customer experience, different lenders.

All my credit cards are online.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    Well I have debit and credit cards with the same banks, so assume most customers have.

By online, do you mean all activated online?

Both of my latest have insisted on phone activation: Halifax and Tesco.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't keep track, but a lot of my replacement cards don't need activation at all. Simply sign and destroy the old one.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    Makes sense to have some form of activation, but in this day and age banks should offer online as well as telephone options.
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    My new Virgin CC was online activation. Done along with the online account set up. The PIN number was also sent that way. Very efficient, it was.
  • ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Activated my new Lloyds BT CC online - a process which leads into signing up (optionally) for internet banking. Saved me a lot of time and hassle.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    Yes, will have to look at Vrgin CC next I think.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    I'm not sure about Lloyds. Had an account with them since late 1970s, but they didn't seem bothered about losing my custom when I moved to a town without a branch a while back.
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not sure about Lloyds. Had an account with them since late 1970s, but they didn't seem bothered about losing my custom when I moved to a town without a branch a while back.
    That's because none of them are bothered. Loyalty means nothing nowadays.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • keef-WhatStandards
    Options
    I agree.

They spend thousands trying to get new customers and yet lose existing ones through lack of simple customer care. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport