PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Inheriting a property and my help to buy ISA

Hello

I have a help to buy ISA (please bear with me this is relevant) which i have applied to close as we are due to purchase a property in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately a parent passed away late last year with no will, his property passed to his mother. She offered us (siblings) the property as she is too frail to manage a second house and so it is being transferred to myself and sisters following probate and a deed of transfer. This wasn't due to take place for a few months which wouldn't have been a problem except a lot of hurdles have been cleared quickly and it now seems likely that the deed of transfer will be signed shortly. I am worried that when i am a part owner in my parents property through inheritance that i will no longer be eligible for the government top up to my ISA (which i suspect will be the case) has anyone any experience with what options are available to me? as i stand to lose quite a lot from my ISA. Our house buying solicitor who i thought might be helpful and have some experience off this have been just the opposite.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• The terms on the HTB ISA are very clear - you must never have owned any property anywhere in the world, ever, to be considered.
  • Another thing to consider is would you be liable for the higher rate stamp duty?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Unless there are time constrains for IHT/CGT issues and a DOV just delay the transfer as it will cost money.
    Unfortunately a parent passed away late last year with no will

no there is still over a year to do the DOV if one is needed

Are you sure you want share of a second property?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure