PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice re birds nest

Options
Hi,

Random one but hoping someone can advise.
We moved into a new house in December which is a new build. Not long after moving in we noticed we had a birds nest in the corner of our roof where next doors house joins, there house is set slightly back. We are really friendly with the neighbours and nearly every time we see them they complain about the birds nest saying it wakes them in the mornings as its next to there bedroom. It's also behind our bedroom but does not bother us in the slightest.
They are now asking if they can get someone in to remove it (mentioned pest control). Obviously it's on our roof so whoever removes it would need access to our property. I didn't think you could remove a birds nest? Also I hope they are not expecting us to pay for anything that they do.
The way they keep mentioning it makes me think they want us to deal with it but honestly it doesn't bother us at all so I don't see the point but don't want to fall out with them about it.
Any advice?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ignore them. Nobody's likely to remove an occupied bird's nest.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It would be illegal to destroy the nest. Once fledged it would be possible to prevent further nesting on that site
  • Lizbragg33
    Lizbragg33 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks both, that'[s what I thought that you couldn't. I've said to them that they should go once the babies are grown and we can do something them to stop them coming back.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    It won't be too much longer until the nest won't be used anymore, a matter of weeks max. Surely they can wait it out?
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    All birds and their nests and eggs are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. They should leave well alone, and be thankful they have been blessed with some harmless chirping.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I seem to have acquired two birds nests this year. Although the chirping was a little disturbing in the mornings for a while, I am not too bothered. It has recently stopped though so I intend to clear the chimneys (double checking they are vacant of course) and affix wire mesh to the tops of the chimneys to prevent re-occurrence.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:21PM
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Ignore them. Nobody's likely to remove an occupied bird's nest.

and it's probably illegal to try....

Smile sweetly at the neighbours and sympathise and point out the law and then sympathise again and change the subject.

If it's "ordinary" birds (ie rather than seagulls) then it's time for them to re-frame their way of thinking towards "Aw....little wotnames....they're having a bit of a go...aint it cute". That's what I do when they're out there busily stealing fruit from my garden - ie translate it into "Oh well - I've had enough of it myself. Ain't it cute....".
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do your neighbours have children? Or a baby? If the baby cries, does it keep you awake? Annoy you?

If so, I suggest you call pest control and ask them to remove the baby, together with it's 'nest' (cot etc) to prevent it returning.........
  • Lizbragg33
    Lizbragg33 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    G_M - they actually do but the noise is only in the garden and it doesn't bother us at all, we are really laid back. We expected when moving from a flat into a 3 bed house that it was highly likely the neighbours would have children and we would have noise and we do from both sides but nothing annoying. Just like the poor birds are not annoying to us, it's what you expect.
    Plus my cats sit at the windows and chirp back at the birds :-)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:Is so wanting a photo of the cats doing exactly that now...:rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure