Bigger House

Hi i hope this is in the right place.

long story short I am a carer for my partner she has a list of illnesses physical and mental we have a 1 child and just found out yesterday we are expecting another one in 11 months time. we live in a two bed council house which is great but my daughters bedroom is only a single so would be difficult trying to have two kids in there i would happily move in to the small room to let my two kids have the double room which me and my partner sleep in problem is that wouldnt do for my partner one of her symptoms is extreme Claustrophobia which triggers her anxiety also. when we applied for council property the first time her dr had to write a letter saying that she could not be housed in a flat or a 4 in the block it had to be a house and a week later we were offered one was extremely grateful for that. my question is do you think the council would take this into consideration and offer a 3 bed house due to the circumstances? even if we did have two kids in the one bedroom the mrs wouldnt be able to deal with such a small space with two kids. would really appreciate any advice thank you.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    GARYG90 wrote: »
    Hi i hope this is in the right place.

long story short I am a carer for my partner she has a list of illnesses physical and mental we have a 1 child and just found out yesterday we are expecting another one in 11 months time. we live in a two bed council house which is great but my daughters bedroom is only a single so would be difficult trying to have two kids in there i would happily move in to the small room to let my two kids have the double room which me and my partner sleep in problem is that wouldnt do for my partner one of her symptoms is extreme Claustrophobia which triggers her anxiety also. when we applied for council property the first time her dr had to write a letter saying that she could not be housed in a flat or a 4 in the block it had to be a house and a week later we were offered one was extremely grateful for that. my question is do you think the council would take this into consideration and offer a 3 bed house due to the circumstances? even if we did have two kids in the one bedroom the mrs wouldnt be able to deal with such a small space with two kids. would really appreciate any advice thank you.

It is worth visiting the council re: your housing query. However, having a 3 bed house would mean that you would be liable for the 'bedroom tax' as you would have an extra bedroom as per their criteria (i.e your new baby should share with your daughter)

They may suggest a house swap and give you information about this. A three bed house may not be necessary as a house with two good sized bedrooms would be suitable.

You have plenty of time before you need extra space. Hopefully, the baby can stay in your bedroom for some time.

If all else fails then could you consider having a sofa bed in the living room if necessary?

Hope you made a mistake about 'in 11 months time!' :)
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You could sleep in the lounge and the children have the larger bedroom, or the baby come in with you for the first few years.

Or you could find a private rental?
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    On the assumption your wife isn't a llama, you might find the new little one arriving a few months sooner than you've calculated :-)
  • GARYG90
    GARYG90 Posts: 36 Forumite
    hahaha big mistake regarding 11 months time sorry still in shock from the news of another baby. thanks for the replys folks and yeah another two bed house with suitable sized rooms would be perfect.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    hahaha big mistake regarding 11 months time sorry still in shock from the news of another baby. thanks for the replys folks and yeah another two bed house with suitable sized rooms would be perfect.
    You'll be better off looking for a house exchange in your area because the likelhood of the council even giving you a larger 2 bed house because you need a bigger bedroom is very unlikely.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    .... just found out yesterday we are expecting another one in 11 months time.
    That's a great skill.
    You could make a fortune as a clairvoyant and buy a HUGE house!
    :)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My son and partner have just got a three bedroomed council house after a very long wait. They have sons now aged 8 and 11 and a daughter nearly 4 who has had to share her parents' room.

The only exchanges offered were real dumps, in even worse areas than theirs (drug dealers, fights and car damage), which needed complete redecoration (beyond just paint and paper).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure