problem with used car within 6 months

mandy1955
mandy1955 Posts: 53 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 9 July 2017 at 4:07PM in Motoring
Hi, looking for some advice for my daughter.
She paid £3,000 for a Peugeot 308 at end of January. When she picked it up it was after she left work and there was only a young mechanic there to give her the keys/car, paperwork etc.....so she drove it home about 15 miles...she realised there was no heating...and so she rang them the next morning and they agreed to send a mechanic out to her to get the car, fix the heating and return it to her. All great on their part.
Also they supposedly replaced both keys as they didn't operate the central locking correctly...now, the last couple of weeks she has had to keep topping up with oil and water more frequently than you should have to, she used all her savings on this car and yesterday it just wouldn't start for ages, when it finally did, white smoke was coming from the exhaust and she could smell burning so immediately switched off the engine, now it won't start at all.
She lives out in the countryside and now has no car to get her daughter to school or herself to work. I have told her to email the garage she bought it from as they were really good with her, but is there any way they could still be liable as it is within 6 months of purchase and it wasn't a cheap runaround to her.
I live 200 miles away and she was in tears just now wondering how to get to work tomorrow x thank in advance. also, someone told her it sounds like the head gasket, does this happen quickly or over time please.

Comments

• white smoke, losing water, no heater.

sounds like when the head gasket went on my wifes clio.
  • mandy1955
    does it take a while for the head gasket to go, as the garage did see water bubbling when she bought it but said it was due to the heating not working.
  • mine just got worst and worst til it was using antifreeze all the time.

the bubbling was a sign of the head gasket going in my case once I made sure there was no air lock.

fingers crossed its something else but sounds like it to me
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    HGs can just 'go' or get gradually worse.
    When she says there was no heating. No hot air or the fan wasnt working?
  • mandy1955
    there was no heating or back lights, but the fan was still going..
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Year and mileage? Diesel, petrol?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    mandy1955 wrote: »
    there was no heating or back lights, but the fan was still going..

Well ignore the lights. If the car only blew cold air it could point to a HG or an airlock. Potentially an airlock from a HG repair.
    A quick repair without skimming the head can lead to an early failure.
  • Have you checked for any DTC errors? If so would help, and any more details about the car...
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure