Gumtree sale advice - id sharing

Options
Hi All,

I am selling a camera on gumtree and the buyer wants to share photo id before they transfer their money.

I've never done this before, so wanted to check the issues surrounding sharing a photo of my drivers license id with them.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Gumtree is for face to face transaction only - this will be on your selling page.

Up to you if you do this, but there are warnings all over Gumtree about it being for in-person, face to face transactions.

Why people choose to ignore that site, and ask here is always a mystery to me!

If you do decide to sell remotely, only accept bank transfer.
  • Ting-Tang
    Ting-Tang Posts: 129 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    I don't know why anybody genuine would ask you to do that but it smells a bit weird to me.
    I wouldn't if I was you.
  • Koa
    Koa Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    mutty_hc wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am selling a camera on gumtree and the buyer wants to share photo id before they transfer their money.

I've never done this before, so wanted to check the issues surrounding sharing a photo of my drivers license id with them.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Oh, you are so right to be careful of sharing personal information.

Why not post the image here first, and we'll check it out for you and let you know if it'll be safe to pass onto this unknown, possible purchaser?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OP is selling and appears to be expecting a bank transfer, which makes the buyers request for ID more understandable .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the OP was to send a copy of their photo driving licence, the buyer would then have their bank account details, their full name and address, their date of birth and a copy of their signature.

Would anyone be willing to give all of this information to a random stranger they met in the street? because that is basically what they will be doing.
  • mutty_hc
    mutty_hc Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed - I wanted to check my inclination of *not* doing this was right.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mutty_hc wrote: »
    Agreed - I wanted to check my inclination of *not* doing this was right.

You might need to consider taking paypal then to reassure the buyer or make an attempt to deal face to face.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • tomvox
    tomvox Posts: 187 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This is Gumtree. The only safe way to transact is Cash on Collection. Anything else is ludicrous.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How much money are we talking about
  • GabbaGabbaHey
    GabbaGabbaHey Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the OP was to send a copy of their photo driving licence, the buyer would then have their bank account details, their full name and address, their date of birth and a copy of their signature.
    When you buy something which will be delivered, and you pay by cheque, you provide everything there apart from your date of birth.

But of course your birth certificate (if you were born in England or Wales) is available to anybody who wants a copy for £9.25.

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
    Philip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family