Replacing a combi boiler advice

ferry
ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
How does the process of replacing a combi boiler work?
Have been looking around and need fitting only as I can source the boiler myself but just curious about fitting only quotes.
Seems like the majority of independents or local engineers are happy to give quotes for fitting only but surely there should be a site survey first? All the quotes are quite similar and never any talk of additional piping or movement of anything so can I ask i I am just replacing a combi with another combi ther should not be any need for additional materials or labour etc...?
Is it really a simple matter of one in one out but done by a qualified gas safe person of course?

Thanks for any advice as usual
F
:j

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Regulations will have changed since your last boiler was fitted. A good Gas Safe fitter will include these aspects in the quote.
  • ferry
    ferry Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes thanks.
    So is it fair to say that if a quote starts at say £500 we are unlikely to end up with a bill for a £1000?
    :j
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Have you specifically asked the people you have contacted about additional pipe work/ re-siting the flue/ changes to brick work.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The other thing to watch for is that certain Gas Save fitters are authorised by certain boiler manufacturers to do warranted installation of their brand.

So what I did was choose the brand first then checked my fitter was approved.
    Since there's a 7 year parts & labour warranty at stake, I can't see the point of trying to source the boiler separately/any cheaper.

For later servicing I wanted a more local one, so checked the manufacturer website approved technician list, then chose based on my postcode.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure