Do I move my old M&S Pension to BP?

Options
Hi guys,

After some advice. When I was 18 I worked at m&s till I was 22 and paid as much as I could into my pension. I left m&s 4 years ago and just recieved my annual statement telling me how much it's currently worth just over £20k

Is it worth me transferring this money to my new works pension pot? Want to maximise the potential return for when I finally retire in the future.

Apologies if I'm wrong, pensions isn't my strongest point of knowledge at present

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you need to see whether the transfer value is the same as the pot value
    you need to look at how it is invested - putting all your eggs in one basket is not usually the best plan
    what are the fees being charged now it is dormant - will it just get eaten away because you are no longer contributing?
    what is the thinking behind transferring - just an easier life? Many people have a trail of works pensions behind them when they retire.

There isn't a simple answer
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are now a member of the BP Defined Contribution Pension Scheme?

https://www.aegon.co.uk/support/faq/Understanding-our-products/retirement-products/workplace-pensions/your-pension-plan-with-bp.html

When you were with M&S, were you a member of the old DC Retirement Plan ( likely if you joined in 2009) or of the old Defined Benefit Pension Scheme?
  • mini_lidi
    mini_lidi Posts: 232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    You are now a member of the BP Defined Contribution Pension Scheme?

https://www.aegon.co.uk/support/faq/Understanding-our-products/retirement-products/workplace-pensions/your-pension-plan-with-bp.html

When you were with M&S, were you a member of the old DC Retirement Plan ( likely if you joined in 2009) or of the old Defined Benefit Pension Scheme?

The M&S pension was provided but legal and General and I'm sure was called something like "Pension saving plan"
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes- as far as I know, M&S had a DB plan but at some point they closed it to new members and introduced a DC Retirement Plan.

Then very recently, (there was a post from a member of the DB Scheme) they closed the DB pension to new accruals for all staff and introduced a DC pension for all.

Presumably you were permitted to leave your benefits in the L&G / M&S retirement plan when you left.

I found this

https://www.legalandgeneral.com/workplacebenefits/microsites/marksandspencer/

Members who were previously in the Retirement Plan on the 30 June 2012, or the DB Scheme and who agreed to leave it on the 31 March 2017, may have slightly different benefits. They should refer to the paperwork issued to them at the time of their transfer.

You would need to compare what is on offer in the M&S plan - fees/funds etc with what is on offer from Aegon - have you checked that Aegon would accept a transfer in?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bottom line is, it's impossible to know because there are too many variable factors including the major unknown of future investment performance between the two schemes. And you don't give any clue as to the growth of the fund over the last 4 years, it's £20k now but what was it 4 years ago?

In general, given diversification is a good thing when looking long term, I'd say keep it separate for now and track the growth of the M&S scheme over the next few years and see how it goes.

Note that whilst most years it will increase, some it will decrease, so you'd need to average it since you started, and not just think if it falls say 10% or even 20% in one year that means it's awful you need to compare that with what worldwide markets are doing. In the meantime educate yourself on the subject, for example try the monevator blog.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure