Engagement ring tips

2»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    dj1471 wrote: »
    It's explained in the link I posted and:
    Why are you posting a link to a jewellers 'headquartered in Houston, Texas without a physical storefront?

14 carat gold is not standard here in the UK.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Why are you posting a link to a jewellers 'headquartered in Houston, Texas without a physical storefront?
    Because they have some clear, concise advice on gold vs platinum and 14K vs 18K.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    I would only buy 18ct gold engagement ring and a 22 ct gold wedding ring but that would be in yellow gold. Don't bother with platinum.
    I have an 18ct white gold emerald ring and it still looks like new. As for buying second hand and she'll never know... er, what about the hallmark which dates the ring to a specific year?
    Brum jewellery quarter is fine but you will still be overwhelmed with choice, stick to Hatton Garden and get to know the shops there by visting whenever you can.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    dj1471 wrote: »
    Because they have some clear, concise advice on gold vs platinum and 14K vs 18K.
    The OP didn't mention platinum.

Perhaps you can provide some links to UK companies that do 14 carat gold.
    It really isn't commonly available here compared to 9 carat and 18 carat.
    Loanranger wrote: »
    I would only buy 18ct gold engagement ring and a 22 ct gold wedding ring but that would be in yellow gold. Don't bother with platinum.
    I have an 18ct white gold emerald ring and it still looks like new. As for buying second hand and she'll never know... er, what about the hallmark which dates the ring to a specific year?
    Brum jewellery quarter is fine but you will still be overwhelmed with choice, stick to Hatton Garden and get to know the shops there by visting whenever you can.
    Me too, but my wedding ring is also 18k as I was concerned about the softer ring wearing away against my engagement ring.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    The diamond "tradition" and ring costing a month's salary was just a marketing campaign by DeBeers. If you want to buy into that, that's great, but don't think of buying a ring as any kind of investment - the value secondhand is probably about 25% of what most people will charge you for new - there's a huge showroom depreciation. If you know and are consciously choosing to do this then that's great, and go into it with eyes open :)

People get upset about even mentioning CZ, but even DeBeers use CZ as a diamond alternative for public displays (Like at the O2 when the thieves tried to turn over the biggest diamond in the world, it was a CZ fake they stole). It makes a truly excellent sparkly white stone.

Also, metals, you'd be amazed the compliments I've had for a tungsten ring - a white metal and INCREDIBLY hardwearing and almost impossible to scratch, so it still looks new. It's my wedding ring, I wear it all the time and have for years, and it cost... £7.

OK, I know this'll be unpopular, just throwing it out there so you at least can make informed decisions :)
  • I'm a girl and I like a bit of a quality 'special' brand such as boodles especially for something v special like an an engagement ring. The whole package of provenance and beautiful packaging and then a stunning high quality ring is fab for a special occasion. Yes - you might not get quite as big a diamond as compared with the DIY approach but it is nice to build up a relationship with a jewellers and go back for the wedding rings/eternity rings etc over the years.
  • manoir
    manoir Posts: 11 Forumite
    I'm a girl and I like a bit of a quality 'special' brand such as boodles especially for something v special like an an engagement ring. The whole package of provenance and beautiful packaging and then a stunning high quality ring is fab for a special occasion. Yes - you might not get quite as big a diamond as compared with the DIY approach but it is nice to build up a relationship with a jewellers and go back for the wedding rings/eternity rings etc over the years.

The packaging is definitely not important - my girlfriend REALLY doesn't like anything showy like that and will find it frivolous (I would probably appreciate it more than her). More importantly though I have a good idea about where to put the ring when I propose which is personal to us and I know she'll appreciate.

Thanks for the advice guys - it's been helpful! I will be making periodic trips to Hatton Garden over the next few months I think!
  • angelof1983
    angelof1983 Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, I'm recently engaged (4 weeks ago) and my partner chose the ring without my knowledge or input. From what you say I sound a bit like your partner too, I have a really slim build and skinny fingers but also I would have been uncomfortable if I thought my OH had paid a fortune for a ring. My money saving ways are rubbing off on him and he was really pleased to tell me that he had paid much less than Beaverbrooks and H Samuel charge but much better quality. He did educate me in the 4 Cs but I still don't really understand it still lol!

Anyway, he knows I don't like yellow gold so I have a platinum solitaire. Its simple but sparkly enough for me to keep staring at and no overbearing on my tiny fingers. He found a small local higher end jewellers here in Leicester who have been amazing (it did need resizing to make it smaller)
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    My biggest piece of advice would be go for something she likes.

I can't think of anything worse than a boring (to me!!) diamond or cluster in a plain ring, no matter how big the rock is!

If that's what she likes, great. Find out what she likes.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi
    Why not have a look at on line sites together to get ideas of what she may like. Or pay a visit to the jewellery quarter in Birmingham to see if one can be custom made?
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure