Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 15th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 197Posts
    • 286Thanks
    How soon to chase up the chain?
    • #1
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    How soon to chase up the chain? 15th Jun 17 at 11:01 AM
    So, my situation:

    The chain is 3 houses long, I'm the FTB at the bottom end of it.

    All the paperwork on my purchase (1) is complete, just waiting for the rest of the chain to be ready to exchange (all searches and surveys done, seller has agreed to take out an indemnity policy for the outstanding issues).

    My seller's purchase (2) had their survey scheduled for yesterday (i'm assuming this is done now), and that and the associated mortgage offer are the only outstanding matter (all searches done, associated queries answered, etc)

    The onward purchase from their seller (3) is also having their survey done around now (don't have an exact date), but they were also waiting for one of the searches last I heard. That is the top of chain, as the final seller has agreed to move into rented accommodation.

    We're currently 11 weeks from when I made my offer. In 6 weeks, my current tenancy ends (end of fixed term, S21 served, and it's a houseshare where the rest of the house is moving out so I can't afford to stay on anyway - the landlord would only agree to a 12 month extension, which was clearly unsuitable). I would obviously like to complete before that happens. I have backup plans if it runs on too long (varying from throwing stuff in storage and taking a week of holiday to staying with friends for a month to throwing my toys out the pram, finding a new tenancy and trying again in 6 months - probably after a pay rise, so with a higher budget).

    Is it worth chasing things up again now, or should I wait until next week when there's more likely to be news on the survey/valuations?

    Is the 6 week timescale from now realistic? I appreciate that a number of things can go wrong (mortgage offers refused, end of chain deciding not to rent after all), but most of those will be significant enough delays that it's worth me finding another place to rent and looking at the market again.
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 15th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • 10,335 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    • #2
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    • #2
    • 15th Jun 17, 11:05 AM
    If you can all agree a short time between exchange and completion, and the surveyors don't take too long getting reports back - and presuming there's no renegotiating or probs - it should be okay! You just never know when it comes to property...

    My last survey took 3 weeks to reach me - lots of chasing from me, and lies from them. Also needed a deed of variation/rectification which added a month or two.

    Good luck.

    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6Posts Today

3,582Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke?

  • No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr?

  • Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R?

  • Follow Martin