PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How soon to chase up the chain?

Options
So, my situation:

The chain is 3 houses long, I'm the FTB at the bottom end of it.

All the paperwork on my purchase (1) is complete, just waiting for the rest of the chain to be ready to exchange (all searches and surveys done, seller has agreed to take out an indemnity policy for the outstanding issues).

My seller's purchase (2) had their survey scheduled for yesterday (i'm assuming this is done now), and that and the associated mortgage offer are the only outstanding matter (all searches done, associated queries answered, etc)

The onward purchase from their seller (3) is also having their survey done around now (don't have an exact date), but they were also waiting for one of the searches last I heard. That is the top of chain, as the final seller has agreed to move into rented accommodation.

We're currently 11 weeks from when I made my offer. In 6 weeks, my current tenancy ends (end of fixed term, S21 served, and it's a houseshare where the rest of the house is moving out so I can't afford to stay on anyway - the landlord would only agree to a 12 month extension, which was clearly unsuitable). I would obviously like to complete before that happens. I have backup plans if it runs on too long (varying from throwing stuff in storage and taking a week of holiday to staying with friends for a month to throwing my toys out the pram, finding a new tenancy and trying again in 6 months - probably after a pay rise, so with a higher budget).

Is it worth chasing things up again now, or should I wait until next week when there's more likely to be news on the survey/valuations?

Is the 6 week timescale from now realistic? I appreciate that a number of things can go wrong (mortgage offers refused, end of chain deciding not to rent after all), but most of those will be significant enough delays that it's worth me finding another place to rent and looking at the market again.

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you can all agree a short time between exchange and completion, and the surveyors don't take too long getting reports back - and presuming there's no renegotiating or probs - it should be okay! You just never know when it comes to property...

My last survey took 3 weeks to reach me - lots of chasing from me, and lies from them. Also needed a deed of variation/rectification which added a month or two.

Good luck.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills