RBS Credit Card for 'emergency use'

Options
Beckt2454744
Beckt2454744 Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 14 June 2017 at 1:59PM in Credit cards
I have a credit card which I keep for emergencies. I've used it maybe 3 or 4 times, always paid back in full. Now I have a letter from RBS telling me if I don't use it they will cancel it. I'm going to be annoying and spend about £5.00 and pay it back straight away so it is not cancelled. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue. I find it quite rude!

Thoughts? :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's costly for them to provide cards, so not really rude.

Couldn't you use it for your weekly shopping?
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Banks have to hold capital and cash for all credit cards irrespective of whether you use your account or not.

As a previous poster said this is expensive for them. It's not rude, just good business sense.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    How long is it since you actually used the card? I am guessing several years???
    If you want it, use it.
    If you don't use it, then why keep it?
    No need to be annoyed. Spend the £5000 if you have £5000 to spend. And don't pay it back straight away. Wait until you get a statement then pay it by the due date
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's common practice for banks to close credit card accounts if you don't use the cards. In the past I've had this with HSBC, Yorkshire Bank, Halifax and Nationwide. Barclays did the same with a friend
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 June 2017 at 11:11PM
    Options
    LLoyds cancelled mine due to lack of use, actually I'd never used it, perfectly good business sense, I sometimes pity the banks (not often) but they can't do right for doing wrong sometimes.
  • Wellard_Mann
    Wellard_Mann Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I once had a Halifax card cancelled for lack of use, which I regarded as reasonable as it was probably a year or so since I’d made a transaction. My Santander card spells out specifically in its T&C that they may close the account if there have been no transactions or a nil balance for a period of six months or more. They also say they will contact me to determine whether I intend to make any more transactions with the card before doing that. This seems fair enough to me.
  • Beckt2454744
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!

I last used it 3 months ago which I don't see as a long period to go without using a card.

As said in the original post I keep it for emergencies. I'm solvent etc but I have disabled family members who depend on me and, now and then, I need to help them out financially but I don't have enough spare cash lying around to do so which is when the card come in most useful.

I've since spoken to them and they have offered me a credit card with 'perks', for a fee, even though I don't use this one to their liking.

I was just looking to see if others had other experiences or thoughts so thank you for the replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure