PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Graduate with investment funds, but clueless!

Options
Hey there,

New poster here, and also a fresh university graduate looking for advice!

Basically, I'm leaving university this July and have £90.000 to invest more-or-less as I see fit; however I'm not exactly sure where I would see the most returns.

My current plan is to spend £30k on a BTL house worth c. £65k, and then have the tenant's rent pay it off over, say, 10 years and then sell the property, hopefully at a profit, making £35k-£40k in the process. This is only really £4k a year though when it's broken down and I'm wondering if there are better ways to invest? I've read online too that there are new laws being implemented that make BTL a little less promising.

With the remaining £60k I was going to look at buying a cheap property at auction and then developing it and selling it for a profit. Roughly £45k property, £15k development if that seems realistic?

Would I be better buying a property at auction for, say, £75k, and then developing it with the remaining £15k and sell it on for hopefully greater returns?

I'm really new to this whole thing, so I don't fully understand all the available tax relief options (or lack thereof), or other investment opportunities like REITs, however I'm trying to learn. I'm equally open to other investment options too.

Thanks in advance.

tl;dr How should I invest £90k in property?

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why do you want to invest in property?
  • rentmekid
    rentmekid Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    why not invest in property?
  • HouseBuyer77
    Options
    Probably better off with the savings & investments boards.

Still why so obsessed with property? You have a significant sum to invest, and a good piece of advice is diversify. You seem to be planning on putting the lot in the UK property market. Do you really want all your eggs in one basket like that?

Do you have any property development skills or contacts in the trades that will allow you to get work done cheaply? Making a profit in development is not straight-forward.

The other thing to point out is property is an active investment, indeed developing/being a landlord can easily be a full-time career, how much time are you willing to spend on tending to your investments?
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are lots of other investment vehicles, and any sensible portfolio would diversify in a range of sectors including equities, bonds, etc. Specifically regarding your suggestions,

1) BTL: where would you live? most BTL mortgages require you own your home and have an income, as well as some age requirements. If you're inexperienced, there is a steep learning curve regarding legal requirements as well as dealing with queries, repairs etc, which can be difficult alongside a job.

2) 'Flipping' a house: What do you think your value add would be here? i.e. why would someone who wanted to keep the house not buy at the cheaper price and renovate themself rather than pay the higher price including your profit? Answer: often because they don't have the time / ability to renovate cheaply. So, what makes you think you will have the time / ability to renovate cheaply? The profit here is from knowing reliable tradespeople or being able to do some of the work / contracting yourself. Do you have that?
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Do you currently own a residential property which you live in? If not, you're not going to get a BTL mortgage. Assuming you're looking at buying locally, you seem to have enough cash to buy your own house outright, so why not do that (and you can still do it up to get more money when you sell it)?

Being both a landlord and redeveloping a property (to a standard where you can turn a profit) sounds more like a second job than an investment.

Do you have a job lined up that will give you a steady income? What are you planning to do with the money long-term?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re the BTL, a steep learning curve indeed. Read:

* Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants This thread is intended to provide information to both landlords and tenants relating to Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) in England and Wales.

Topics covered:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

* Deposits:
    payment, protection and return

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

* Repossession: what if a LL's mortgage lender repossesses the property?

* New landlords: advice, information & links

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you related to this poster, here?

You won't be getting a BTL mortgage.

tl;dr you can't
  • Jonobo92
    Jonobo92 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi again,

Thanks for all these quick and extensive responses.

I should really have made my position a bit clearer, my brother currently owns and lets two properties himself in our hometown, and so that is what drew me towards that idea.

I'll also be living with my brother in his house all expenses paid, and the BTL could be bought under his name, or through his property company?

Fortunately, I have an unlimited amount of time on my hands to be an active landlord, and to renovate, however in terms of trade-skills, I can paint and remove furniture - so I realise the costs may mount up paying tradesmen.

Would I perhaps be better buying a £65k house outright, getting c.£450pcm rent and then save/invest the other £25k elsewhere? Or are BTLs still worthwhile when they're paid off?

Where else could/should I invest my money, I don't really know of any stocks or bonds that do well etc. Should I pay an investment manager to do it all for me?

Thanks again for all the posts/advice/links etc.
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    I would watch a few episodes of homes under the hammer.

You find that 'Cheap' properties (the value you are looking at) have a very small margin in price between wrecks and renovated. If your skills are limited to moving furniture and painting you are going to make very little money as yes you will have to pay trades people who have the skills you don't.

What did you do at Uni? Why not get a job, buy a home mortgage free and do that up to the standard you want slowly.
  • Jonobo92
    Jonobo92 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Ah ok, thanks; so assuming property renovation is completely out of the window, where should I put my money?

Owning my own home doesn't interest me as my brother's place is more than enough for us to live in comfortably, I'd really just like to put all of the money to work in a way that returns me the most profit.

I studied English Language and Linguistics, and though I've been offered a job abroad teaching English, I'd rather explore my investment options at home first.

This may be wrong but as I see it, if I put a £30k deposit on a £65k house, paid it off over 10years and then sold the house for £65k again, that would be profit of £35k, or £3500 per year before tax. Are there any other investment avenues that could return £3500pa from a £30k deposit, or have I completely missed the mark with those sums?

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport