Question About Experian Entry

Good Morning

I have been working hard to improve my credit score following a period of financial difficulty, with a view to getting a mortgage in the next few years.
I cleared most of my old debts and set up a payment plan for a defaulted account with Welsh Water. I owed them £900 and agreed a monthly direct debit amount that would partly cover the default amount and the rest to go towards current bills.
This has been paid regularly for the past 6 months or so, however I checked Experian today and it shows me as being 1 month behind on my payments - I called Welsh Water who said this is correct as the amount I am paying is covering the arrears so the 'months late' will continue to increase on Experian until the arrears are cleared and I am paying off current bills, as I am paying £80 per month this will take forever, given the debt increases by around £50 each month as bills are produced.
Short of clearing the full debt (which I am not in a position to do) is there anything I can do as this has now affected my credit score that I had worked so hard to increase! Should they not have closed the defaulted account?

Thanks

Gab

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Their entry is correct, if you are still in arrears. Whether the account is close or not won't change that.]

If you ever get in a position to clear it, do so.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Unless you are planning to get your mortgage through Experian I wouldnt worry about the 'score' they have assigned to you.

The important thing is to concentrate on clearing the arrears to improve your credit record and your chance of getting a mortgage in the future.

Rob
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Gabby71,

You should write to Welsh Water about this and see what schemes they have available to assist you. For example, they may have a customer assistance fund that means you can apply to have the arrears written off. There can be criteria to meet with this, such as making regular payments to the ongoing bill for 6-12months. You will need to check the other details with them, but it sounds as though this could help you if you are struggling.

They may have other schemes that can help but, ultimately, if there is no scheme that can help, you can insist on them splitting the payments as you directed (some towards the ongoing payment and some towards the arrears). I am afraid this may not make a massive improvement to your credit file but the benefit of this would be that you would see a slow decrease in the debt owed. We have more information about water arrears that may help - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/waterratesandwatertrustfunds/waterarrearsadvice.aspx

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • gabby71
    gabby71 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Thanks all.

Followed Laura's advice and called Welsh Water - the confirmed I am eligible for the customer assistance scheme so my debt will be reduced and therefore cleared sooner!

Thank you Laura ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport