PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Barn Conversions Pros and Cons

Options
Hi,

I'm wondering if a few people can give me some advice on buying a barn conversion. I am looking to move in the next year although there is no rush. I like the appeal of living in a barn conversion but realize there maybe a few downfalls.

If anyone lives in a barn conversion and can give me some advice on what to look for and what it is like to live in that would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends on the specific barn conversion! We lived in one, but we built it. I hated it, room strange shapes and small winows. But some are done well, light and airy but with high ceilings so difficult to heat!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Barn conversions are as varied as 'detached houses' but it stands to reason that a building not designed for housing originally, and usually with some planning constraints on its conversion, may end up as a bit of a dog's dinner.

Further, if the conversion is done with profit in mind, then corners may be cut. For example, a group of conversions I know has an 'attractive' wavy roof created by retaining the original timbers and slates, but the refurb was cheap and foam was sprayed to keep everything in place, rather than re-roof with new felt & battens. Anyone who knows about foam spraying as a fix will testify to it being a bad idea in the long term, as the residents are now discovering.

Other problems include a lack of light when the planning has restricted the architect to original openings and roof lights, high vaulted ceilings, which look great and cost a lot to heat, and occasional 'upside down' designs where the bedrooms occupy the ground floor. The latter might improve the rural view, but it isn't the most practical for a rural lifestyle.

And the rural lifestyle is often what people in barn conversions seek, except that when a whole large farmyard has been done, they may end up like people on a modern housing estate, with close neighbours, arguments about parking, communal grounds to maintain and a management committee!

So, there isn't one description that fits all, but the more affordable barn conversions will likely have a few problems to look out for. I wouldn't want any I've seen locally that I could afford comfortably, although there are some nice individual ones well beyond my means.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure