Roundworm

We just discovered a worm in our 9 week old puppies business. I phoned the out of hours vet and they told me it's round worm but they don't stock the treatment and I need to go to the vets in the morning. What I'm interested in known from others who have had this issue is what does the treatment intail also how many courses are needed and avarage cost per course as I am only on benefits with me having ms. Not that the cost matters per say as I would happily empty my bungalow sell everything and sleep on the floor as long as my dog is OK however I'm looking for a rough idea so I can be prepared tomorrow and have the right amount of money with me.

I obviously don't want to be going with not enough better to have too much then not enough.

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Your puppy should have been wormed at 2 weeks, 5 weeks, 8 weeks and 12 weeks.

Did the breeder give you information of the worming he had had?

Your puppy will also need vaccinations

What your vet charges woll depend on his charges for a consultation and then whatever product he uses.

You can phone the surgery and ask for an idea of the costs.

If you are on benefits have you checked to see if you are entitled to help with vet fees such as PDSA, RSPCA or Blue Cross? They do not cover flea or worming treatment or vaccinations, only necessary medical treatment.
    You do need to be registered with them before your dog requires treatment.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Did you not do any costings to see how much a dog would cost before you got the puppy? As sheramber says, your pup will also need vaccinations, the cost of which the vet will be able to advise you of. You also shouldn't be taking the pup out until he's had them, as unvaccinated pups are very high risk to catch some very nasty diseases.

Also look into costs of insurance. I personally would rather pay for something I might never need, rather than having to face a huge bill down the road - vet's don't come cheap!

And pictures... we need pictures!

Edit - not of the worms, of the puppy!! :-)
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Save yourself some pennies, get on Animed Direct and order some Cestem - https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/cestem-dog-wormer-flavour-tablets-priced-per-tablet-medium-or-small-dogs.html

However, definitely agree with getting sorted for veterinary care in the future, whether this is finding out what help you're entitled to, starting a savings pot, or taking out pet insurance (I don't normally recommend them, but if it's all you can afford then even someone cheap like E&L/pet-insurance.co.uk is better than nothing).

If you don't go down the health insurance route though, at the very least join the Dogs Trust (about £25 a year) for the third party liability insurance they offer - if your pup were to get lose and cause a car accident for example, you could be liable for any costs/damages, third party liability insurance will cover you for that sort of thing.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Puppies often have roundworm - nothing to stress about. I use Milbemax wormer, which is prescription only so you would need to go via the vet but I know it does the job and covers a good range of parasites. But there are other products. For a wormy puppy, best worm every month until they are about 6/7 months and then take it from there. They need to the correct amount in each dose, but you can minimise chemical exposure by having their poo tested to see if you need to worm. Since you currently have adult roundworm, you definitely need to worm!
  • Daniel2017
    Daniel2017 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi everyone thank you for posting. I panicked like mad because it's the first dog I have had and I just didn't know what to do.

He's had injection one I have been told that I should not take him out until a week after the second injection. Unfortunately the vet screwed up and have admitted they have they told us about the injections but not the fleeing and worming.
    I thought I only had to do it once a month like my cat.

The vets have said that they should have told me and admitted it's there fault and agreed to do his treatment for the round worm, his second injection which is due Wednesday and a year's flea and worming treatment free of cost as a apology.

It does not stop me feeling guilty about what went on though. I have now got insurance for both my animals with pet plan as of today. The reason I picked pet plan is my vets said they have never had any issues with pet plan and as long as I'm a pet plan customer any treatment that may be necessary in future that's a claimable issue they are prepared to do the treatment and claim it back at a later date from pet plan.

Pet plan is £1 more on the price comparison site but what's a pound a month given the piece of mind this is going to give me. My vets did tell me some operations can be a few grand and said you never know what the future holds.

I'm new here and not sure how to post pictures if someone can tell me how to do it I will upload some pictures today.

Kind regards
    Daniel
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Good that you have sorted things out.
  • Daniel2017
    Daniel2017 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Just to update I have took him back today the treatment is working but you could tell he was in pain when passing the worms some where alive but most where dead so I decided to get him something for pain management. He is only a small dog it just can't be nice for him.

I have a picture of him on the day I brought him home on Google drive I have turned link sharing on

It however won't let me post a link as I am new. If someone could drop me a pm and post the link I would be grateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure