Claims Adjuster

Options
Had my home broken into last week and 2 to 3 thousand pounds worth of jewelry stolen.
Would a claims adjuster look at this case or does there need to be an x amount of money involved before they look at cases?

Lastly is it worth using a claims adjuster? Or should I just claim against my insurance company (Nationwide building society) myself?

Thanks

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it's only a 2-3k claim I really wouldn't bother using a claims assessor, they will charge you. They're also more hassle as they act as a middle man and will likely get you to sign a contract stating any payment gets sent directly to them first for them to take their cut. You might find they also won't be happy if you contact the insurers regarding the claim after employing them to act on our behalf.

If it's only jewellery stolen, it's likely that you will be given vouchers for high street stores, or a discounted cash settlement - and the value will depend on what evidence you can provide for the items. IE if you're saying a ring is 18ct gold you'll need to prove that, otherwise the insurance will value it based on a 9ct gold ring.

Finally, it depends on the insurer, your policy, and the circumstances of the claim as to whether they will use an adjuster. Each insurer is different.
  • doire_2
    doire_2 Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. The jeweler we bought them from is to send me a letter detailing what he believes the value of the items to be. We only buy from him
  • FutureGirl
    Options
    doire wrote: »
    Thanks. The jeweler we bought them from is to send me a letter detailing what he believes the value of the items to be. We only buy from him

That won't be particularly helpful in relation to evidence of what you had, as this evidence is after the fact AND he isn't seeing those items.

You'd ideally need to provide receipts from when you bought them, or valuations if you got them valued. If claiming for diamonds, it will be helpful to include information in relation tot he colour, clarity etc of the diamonds. Does the jeweller not have his records of the items you purchased?

Without the above the insurer will value items on basic gold weight, and basic diamonds.
  • doire_2
    doire_2 Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FutureGirl wrote: »
    That won't be particularly helpful in relation to evidence of what you had, as this evidence is after the fact AND he isn't seeing those items.

You'd ideally need to provide receipts from when you bought them, or valuations if you got them valued. If claiming for diamonds, it will be helpful to include information in relation tot he colour, clarity etc of the diamonds. Does the jeweller not have his records of the items you purchased?

Without the above the insurer will value items on basic gold weight, and basic diamonds.

We have paperwork for one of the items. The jeweler said he doesn't have records going that far back 9 years ago). Best he can do is provide a valuation himself.
  • FutureGirl
    Options
    Can't see the insurers accepting any evidence after the fact.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure