The AA

Options
The AA I always considered an institution until now. My mother in law (in her 70's) has been a member for 11 years - she did not realise she was on ever increasing auto renewals. Upon checking she pays £380 per year for her breakdown cover - that's a whopping £223 more than the current top package. She cannot read and is Spanish and did not realise the costs had been going up and up. Yes she must have had letters but I have today asked the AA to pay some money back as a gesture of goodwill - I am not expecting a good result. Is it fair for me to ask for proof that she originally signed up for auto renewal? They have said they do not keep records for more than 7 years?! But she must have a contract? Auto renewal sucks especially for the elderly is there anyone who knows if anything can be done??

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 June 2017 at 6:14PM
    Options
    The AA is a business, it has to make money.

Insurance companies, breakdown service providers and many others have done auto-renewal for several years. It is usual to send a letter giving the cost of the coming year's premium.

If MIL cannot read, I presume a family member filled in the AA joining form and her driving licence application, when she became 70. Plenty of 70 and 80 year olds can deal with auto renewal, but as she can't read one would have hoped she would pass correspondence on to someone who could explain. Has anyone checked her car insurance renewals?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • SouthUKMan
    SouthUKMan Posts: 383 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2017 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Sadly 'auto renewal' is a very common practice now. Companies tend to use weaselly phrases like "to ensure you're always covered" or "for your convenience" etc for justifying the alleged benefits of auto renewal. Yeah whatever. Basic human nature dictates that if insurance cover is already in place and payment sorted then as consumers we're far more likely to simply take the easy way out and not bother shopping around for better or alternative deals. While it is worth searching through your mother in laws contract letter with the AA and small print just in case the company got it wrong, I suspect that somewhere along the line she agreed.

Until two years ago I had been with the AA for about six years and I cancelled my subscription partly for this very reason. I was aware that I was on auto renewal and percentage wise the annual cost of subscription went up year on year by way, way over the rate of inflation or a reasonable amount. It simply got to the point where I thought the company was simply taking the mickey. Another reason why I cancelled my AA subscription was their never ending obsession with wanting to get hold of me by phone, text and post wanting me to rate their performance as a ruse to engage me to then try and sell me something else.

Given your situation, if your mother in law wishes to remain with the AA then I would be inclined to put in writing that you wish her to be removed from auto renewal - and then at renewal time, to phone them and ask for a better deal. I switched to Green Flag and got a much cheaper deal for a similar (although not exactly the same) level of cover. While their prices have also increased a little, their rise is not as harsh as the AA and thank goodness they haven't bothered contacting me relentlessly to sell me other services.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And if she is in her 70s now she was only in her 60s when she signed up, that's hardly taking advantage of the elderly. My Mum in her 60s and Dad in his 70s would be pretty peeved if I treated them as frail old people who don't understand things at their age.

Even with a language barrier surely she knows what breakdown cover is and how it works as surely they also have similar in Spain (considering top U.K. Policies also cover travel in Europe there must be recovery services to carry that out)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    If your mother-in-law has been here for at least 11 years, why can't she read English?

Shameful.

I read it as she can't read at all, not that she can't read English. And while that may be shameful, it's more likely to be an indictement of the Spanish education system than the fault of the individual.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gavlar99 wrote: »
    The AA I always considered an institution until now. My mother in law (in her 70's) has been a member for 11 years - she did not realise she was on ever increasing auto renewals. Upon checking she pays £380 per year for her breakdown cover - that's a whopping £223 more than the current top package. She cannot read and is Spanish and did not realise the costs had been going up and up. Yes she must have had letters but I have today asked the AA to pay some money back as a gesture of goodwill - I am not expecting a good result. Is it fair for me to ask for proof that she originally signed up for auto renewal? They have said they do not keep records for more than 7 years?! But she must have a contract? Auto renewal sucks especially for the elderly is there anyone who knows if anything can be done??

If she cannot read, then she should have been asking someone to read her mail and go through her financial affairs on a regular basis.

Ignorance is not an excuse I'm afraid.

My grandparents are in their 90s and perfectly capable of cancelling auto renewals. 70s is not old!!!

Just accept the mistake, cancel it, and get her a better deal.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I read it as she can't read at all, not that she can't read English. And while that may be shameful, it's more likely to be an indictement of the Spanish education system than the fault of the individual.
    And you really believe that British kids don't leave school not being able to read or right?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bris wrote: »
    And you really believe that British kids don't leave school not being able to read or right?

Apparently they do ;)
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recall the days when the AA man stood at the side of the road and saluted any driver passing displaying their yellow badge.

Forward fast to the 80s when my Audi Coupe GT decided to conk out in Cannon Street in London. I phoned from a call box at 5pm and in the next four hours of waiting I saw the rush hour from start to finish and as Cannon Street is two lanes my car, too heavy to push, blocked one lane causing absolute chaos.

Forward fast to today and now the once proud flagship motoring organisation is robbing money from little old ladies. Shame on them.

OP I thought the companies were obliged to put in writing some time before renewal that the auto renewal was taking place. If they haven't done this then there may be better grounds for a refund.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If she cant read,who was driving the car the cover was on?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    I recall the days when the AA man stood at the side of the road and saluted any driver passing displaying their yellow badge.

Forward fast to the 80s when my Audi Coupe GT decided to conk out in Cannon Street in London. I phoned from a call box at 5pm and in the next four hours of waiting I saw the rush hour from start to finish and as Cannon Street is two lanes my car, too heavy to push, blocked one lane causing absolute chaos.

Forward fast to today and now the once proud flagship motoring organisation is robbing money from little old ladies. Shame on them.

OP I thought the companies were obliged to put in writing some time before renewal that the auto renewal was taking place. If they haven't done this then there may be better grounds for a refund.
    Yes because at one time the AA, RAC, Greenflag were organisations in their own rights, but now they are all owned by multi national insurance companies that don't care about customers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure