Advice - benefits when moving

Options
Hi all,

Appreciate this may be a bit of a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but my friend (who isn't great with money) is moving from Bristol up north.

They're currently on JSA and are going to be on JSA when they move, they've found a place to live and have paid the deposit and first month's rent but I didn't know if there was a waiting period or anything before being able to claim benefits when moving to a new area?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    duckley wrote: »
    Hi all,

Appreciate this may be a bit of a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but my friend (who isn't great with money) is moving from Bristol up north.

They're currently on JSA and are going to be on JSA when they move, they've found a place to live and have paid the deposit and first month's rent but I didn't know if there was a waiting period or anything before being able to claim benefits when moving to a new area?

Thanks in advance!
    They would just need to ring DWP and change address once they've moved. They will then sign on up North as normal.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    As poppy says, they need to inform DWP once they've moved. DWP will not accept advance notification of a move.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If claiming Housing Benefit for the new property, they need to contact the new LA HB dept asap.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • charmed1318
    charmed1318 Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would just add, make sure they keep all paperwork and receipts (for deposit etc), bank statements if necessary, kind of like they are applying for it all again, well, they are lol
    I just moved to the next county as my previous residence and, as always the JC weren't great at communicating 2/3 times when I had an interview to change JC's my details hadn't been transferred. And, I completed the online COA on the UJM journal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure