IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Received PCN Reminder after appeal but no POPLA

Options
hanmin
hanmin Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 10 June 2017 at 6:09AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I received a PCN from Met Parking Services (BPA member) on 7th April 2017. I read the newbie forum and appealed online (as recommended) on their website. I did screenshot and the reference number. It said they will respond in 10 days. I waited for 3 weeks and I received nothing. I was very happy that everything is done.

However, I received a PCN reminder today (2 months later) saying amount due, with seemingly the standard 'further action will be taken... solicitors/debt recovery..'. It also said '.. the independent appeals service (POPLA) is no longer available..'

My question is, should I response?
If yes, should I do it online or post?
If yes, what I should write? Do I write with my screenshot and reference number, saying that "..I have submitted my appeal online and you didn't response within 10 days and too bad for you, and don't write to me again.." ?

Or if there are already thread that have this advise that I've missed, please let me know.

I've searched around, and I can't find similar case to mind.

//-- Added summary of my story and what I've done for other to refer to

I am a regular McD customers due to our kids. And that particular night, I've sent the grannies onto the planes, it was late, the kids are bored (with the walking, and queue-ing in the airport), I thought it was nice for them to play a bit at the McD with the happy meals, drawing, and tablets on the table. I am such a regular McD person that I've calculated that I can never exceed the parting time limit. I was so wrong because this particular McD has a 60 min period as oppose to the 90 min period that I've used to.

I've then got a PCN from MET Parking Services. I searched around and it seems that many have actually talk to the manager in person to get the PCN cancelled. I wasn't going to drive all the way to the airport, especially with kids, it's not the way you want to spend your weekend. I gooogled the restaurant contact, and called for the manager. The manage answered the call, I tell her the story. She said there is nothing she can do at the moment, and she said that I have to make an appeal to obtain a number before she can get the PCN cancelled. I assume she meant the POPLA code. I obtained her name, and couldn't be borther contacting her back again. I suspect at the time of day of my call (Friday, 8pm+) may have got on hold of a less experience manager, or as many other posts describe, you may need to be in person and make a fuss before they will do anything.

Then I did my appeal online on the MET webpage (fairly standard first appeal, based on the newbie thread). I did a lot of work doing my appeal, I have it drafted, reviewed, added customised appeal reasons (eg not copied pasted). I was hoping that the first appeal letter would make them not to even send me the POPLA. On hind sight, I think it probably doesn't really matter, they are going to reject it with a standard reject letter anyway.

First, I've entered the details and only get a reference number at the end (eg no summary of what I've said or entered). Common sense tells me that feels odd. So, I did another appeal again, screenshot of what I've entered and again the new reference number. I would advise you to do the same, in case they came up with the reason that you've entered the wrong information and you have no proof or can't recall of what you did.

Then, 3 weeks passed, I received nothing. Then this happen. Story continue on this thread.

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Complain to the BPA that you haven't been provided a POPLA code. Copy in the DVLA. Email addresses are in the Newbies thread.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A BPA-member PPC will pretend they sent you a POPLA code in April. Happens a lot. Then you ignore them.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • hanmin
    Options
    Thanks, I've sent an email to BPA and CCed DVLA. See how it goes.

Question, how does sending complaint to BPA/DVLA helps? They (MET Parking Services) will not know that I send the complaint, will they? Or the fact that complaining to BPA will have BPA people talking to MET Prk Srv people to make them drop the case?

FYI, the BPA address at the newbie page, 'aos@britishparking.co.uk' may be outdated, from BPA page directed PDF (can't post link here, go see yourself) it seems that the address is 'info@britishparking.co.uk'
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Complaining forces the BPA to at least investigate. Met will probably claim they sent a POPLA code but if repeated complaints are made even the BPA will struggle to brush it aside.

Some people have had codes sent and occasionally they do cancel a ticket.

If it's a regular occurrence a BPA member can get their access to the DVLA database suspended.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    BPA will say take it up with MET first, so forward the 'sent' complaint email NOW, to MET with some covering robust wording demanding to know where your POPLA code went, and put the wind up them by saying ''look, I've complained to the DVLA and BPA about you''.

This also has the advantage of forcing MET to reply and when the BPA say 'take it up with MET' you can add ''I have'' and show them the old drivel you get as a reply from MET.
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hanmin wrote: »
    FYI, the BPA address at the newbie page, 'aos@britishparking.co.uk' may be outdated.

The aos@britishparking.co.uk email address still works okay.

Our approach with a complaint is to raise it with the PPC first (but copying the BPA into the email) giving them a deadline to provide a satisfactory response and warning them that if they not do so, the complaint will then be escalated to the BPA.

It is worth complaining to MET - it has been known for them to issue a new POPLA Code.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Oh yes, that's right, I have also seen MET reissue a new POPLA code, more than once. :)
  • hanmin
    Options
    They must have hide it well, I can't see MET's email on their webpage metreview.com, nor the PCN.
    Can't find it on the newbie page too.

I'll send them a snail mail?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what address did your letter come from
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can try info@metparking.com as shown on the Contact Details page on MET's website:

http://www.metparking.com/contact_details.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport