Car insurance after motability insurance claim - no claims or not?

Options
I'm due to give a motability car back in august after having it for a year so will need to get car and insurance.
before i got the motability car i had 10 years no claims (protected) but this didnt count with motability and im not sure how the insurance worked.

As my luck is bad its no surprise i had an accident last month a week before i was told i had to return the car and a claim has now been made.

My question is, when i get an insurance quote what now happens with the protected no claims i had? are they now wrecked because i had to claim on the motabiliity insurance?
Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 7 June 2017 at 8:08PM
    Options
    Your NCD protection won't apply. (Worth seeing if the insurer you were with is keen to have you back and will offer you a deal)

If this fails explainin your circs to a local broker (not Swinton) and see if they can get you an introductory discount to reflect your driving history, (though the claim won't help!)
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thank you. i will give my old insurer a call like you suggest.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »

If this fails explainin your circs to a local broker (not Swinton) and see if they can get you an introductory discount to reflect your driving history, (though the claim won't help!)

When insurance legislation changed, quite some years ago, I needed a separate policy, having been on my husband's and a broker got me a special offer which was the equivalent of a few years no claims , as I had driven, claim free , on my husband's policy for years. (It won't be as easy with a claim ongoing , especially if you are to blame, though.)
  • cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    yes i was definitely to blame. went into the back of someone as i pulled out at roundabout. they had gone but stalled... :(
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You only mad notability for 1 year?

The NCD you had prior to that should still be valid, as usually valid for 2 years BUT you will lose some due to the accident. If you had 5+ NCD it'll go down to 3, any less than 5 then you lose 2 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure