Neighbour

Options
Hi

not sure what forum to put this in, so my apologies if it is in the wrong forum

I need to get a fence sorted that is falling to bits, it belongs to my neighbour, but I have got the side with the bracing bits of wood on (this is not an issue)

My neighbour is a very difficult man and is often swearing in the street and is quite scary.

I need to compose a letter that is not offensive/upsetting etc in order to try and get the fence sorted - damaged mostly by ivy :-(

I have a dog and it won't be long before he gets through the fence and into his very nice garden so I want to get it sorted asap

I am happy to pay half the cost of the panels, at a push the whole amount, but the way the plants and ivy are coming over the fence at the moment I wouldn't even manage to get the panels out.

Any ideas on being tactful and inoffensive?

thanks
2007 £1749
2008 £291.99
2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
total so far for 09 £92.99

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't write, knock at the door, take a deep breath, smile and say that you'd like to ask for his help in stopping your dog from escaping.

You're quite entitled to put your own fence up inside your own boundary so if he is being awkward just do that..
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Forget the bullies. Don't write anything. Just do your own side and have nothing to do with difficult neighbour.

As long as the new fence is within your boundary you will be fine.

Saves time, stress and you get what you need. Best of luck.

Not much money saved involving him really, and you get what you want.

You can pull down the ivy on your side anyway to do the works.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dipsy wrote: »
    I need to get a fence sorted that is falling to bits, it belongs to my neighbour

I have a dog and it won't be long before he gets through the fence

Your neighbour has no need to replace the fence.

You are the one who needs the fence to keep your dog in your garden. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but you'll have to pay for it, whatever you chose.

If you stagger the posts and fit them up tight against the old fence, you'll only lose a couple of inches off your garden.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

not sure what forum to put this in, so my apologies if it is in the wrong forum - Housing would be better

I need to get a fence sorted that is falling to bits, it belongs to my neighbour, but I have got the side with the bracing bits of wood on (this is not an issue) - So you cant do anything to it.

My neighbour is a very difficult man and is often swearing in the street and is quite scary.

I need to compose a letter that is not offensive/upsetting etc in order to try and get the fence sorted - damaged mostly by ivy :-( -why?

I have a dog and it won't be long before he gets through the fence and into his very nice garden so I want to get it sorted asap - so put up a fence

I am happy to pay half the cost of the panels, at a push the whole amount, but the way the plants and ivy are coming over the fence at the moment I wouldn't even manage to get the panels out. - so just put up your own fence, on your land

Any ideas on being tactful and inoffensive?

thanks

There is no requirement to have a fence, if you want one, put it up
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Your neighbour has no need to replace the fence.

You are the one who needs the fence to keep your dog in your garden. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but you'll have to pay for it, whatever you chose.

If you stagger the posts and fit them up tight against the old fence, you'll only lose a couple of inches off your garden.

The fence is the ones with the stone pillars that you slide the fence in, that is why I just wanted to replace them as obviously I would slide the panel out - If I could - but overgrown with bushes/ivy etc

I don't actually need the fence, my dog will just go in his garden if the fence falls down, but he can't escape -

so if I put another fence up with pillars I would lose quite a lot of garden i.e a boarder- and that would cost about 1k, my fence on the other side was over £600 8 years ago - when actually all it needs is 5 panels

2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    The fence is the ones with the stone pillars that you slide the fence in, that is why I just wanted to replace them as obviously I would slide the panel out - If I could - but overgrown with bushes/ivy etc

I don't actually need the fence, my dog will just go in his garden if the fence falls down, but he can't escape - But then you would face a bill for damages?

so if I put another fence up with pillars I would lose quite a lot of garden i.e a boarder- and that would cost about 1k, my fence on the other side was over £600 8 years ago - when actually all it needs is 5 panels - but it's not your fence.

It's no different to me wanting a new car and asking you if I can use your tyres.

It's up to you, if your dog escapes your garden and bites someone, you know what will happen.
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Forget the bullies. Don't write anything. Just do your own side and have nothing to do with difficult neighbour.

As long as the new fence is within your boundary you will be fine.

Saves time, stress and you get what you need. Best of luck.

Not much money saved involving him really, and you get what you want.

You can pull down the ivy on your side anyway to do the works.

Think I will just write and say didn't want to disturb him as he works shifts, and just ask him if he has any objections to be replacing some panels as they are falling apart.

However, and not keen on mentioning it, he will need to trim his bushes back to enable us to get the panels out.

I quite clearly don't want to upset him at all, nor remove panels /replace without his permission
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't write a letter. Even the best written letters will probably result in your neighbour getting the wrong end of the stick. Tea and cake is the answer to your problem and lots of it. You might find out the neighbour isn't scary at all.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    Think I will just write and say didn't want to disturb him as he works shifts, and just ask him if he has any objections to be replacing some panels as they are falling apart.

However, and not keen on mentioning it, he will need to trim his bushes back to enable us to get the panels out.

I quite clearly don't want to upset him at all, nor remove panels /replace without his permission

what if he doesn't have the inclination to do that?
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Talk to him. But word it better. If it was me I would say something along the lines of "I have noticed your fence is starting to rot and I am worried that the dog may get into your garden and damage it. If you are happy for me to do so I will arrange for replacement panels. If you are happy with that do you want to trim the bits of the bush at (wherever) so I don't damage them".

You are now being seen as positive and kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure